Affordable 2013 Ronix Parks Carbon Thrusters $400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseX View Post
    There's not a lot of dif' between the 2.9's and 2.3's.
    I remember being surprised that we actually COULD tell the difference between them on the board. A little height difference made a noticeable change in how the board handled.

Comment

well we surfed it today. I gotta say it's a little squirley and not that fast with the 2.9's. We first tried 5 fins..then 3 and then as a twin. Maybe I was tired but for the life of me I couldn't get it do much with any combonation. I think I buried the nose twice and flat out lost the wave the third time

I really couldn't get it to pump down the line that well with any of the short/longer fins. Tomorrow I'll try some bigger surfboard fins that Cummin's recommended

The upturned nose makes it feel a lot shorter than 4'7". Personally I think that 'erect' nose holds the board back. They used up alot of usable 'surface area' with that feature. I think it would be alot better with the usual gradual nose rocker. I noticed when I stomped on the nose for speed it tended to 'plow' instead of skimming. Instead of racing down the line the board literally stalled..DUMPED MY A*S!! Not a good feeling..

I'm thinking I should have gotten the bigger board. I'm 6 ft. 180 not that big and that 4'7" felt like a 4'1" to me..

Right after that I took out my 4'10" Phase 5 'X'. What a difference! That board is FAST and alot easier to ride. I musta' been behind the boat for 5 minutes each pull
      Last edited by MooseX; 07-25-2014, 12:22 AM.
      my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Interesting results so far. I like the strong bow rocker, specifically because it lets me really hammer the nose during ollies and other moves. I've NEVER pearled it, and my 12YO son has only done so once that I've seen.

Clearly, more experimentation behind the boat is necessary for both of us!

Comment

We'll be out for the next 3 days. I'm gonna try a bunch of surfboard fins
          my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Good report. We are headed out next week. Maybe I should pick up a few ocean surf fins before I go?
            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I haven't had a chance to run the ronix fin combos yet. I started with the fcs pc7 quad fin set that came with my triple x slayer.

Here are some pics I tried to take so you can see the comparison.

Fcs 7 fin.

This pic shows the larger main pc 7 fin and the smaller trailing quad fin.

Left fin is the small trailing fin from pc 7. Then the middle big ronix fin and small ronix fin. The replacement fin pack sent out when mine was missing were unbranded but identical.

I found the board as a fcs quad really locked in. I like a locked in board but it was more locked in than my triple x. The triple x has more rocker so maybe that's why. I preferred the carbon thruster as a twin.

Mike the fcs pc7 fins might be a good start if you are picking some up. The dilemma you will have will be whether to get a quad set or thruster setup (3 fin). You cannot run three fins from the quad setup because they have a specific left and right fin unlike the ronix.

The board might ride well as a thruster 3 fin but the quad would give you another set of fins that are right in between the pc7 big fin and the ronix big fin.

I really want to try adding one of the ronix fins as a center rear fin with the two big fcs fins next time out.

Good luck, happy surfing, and have a great trip!
              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Love the discussions on board setups! I tried it as a single 2.9 in the most rearward position and this felt pretty solid but experienced the same Moose. I should have played with it more but I switched it to a twin 2.9 in the most rearward position. The board felt really locked down but I still had issues. Then I found that I needed to move my stance back (esp rear foot) and make it wider than I was used to and all the sudden it was a different board. The twin feels too locked down for my taste at this point but is really stable. I have had several newbies on it and all of em were able to settle into the pocket with this board easily. My wife loves the board as a twin... which may have gotten me out of trouble for buying it With your feet in the right position it seems this board is practically unsinkable. I have stomped the front so hard and been sure I would pearl and loose the wave but shot right out. Going to try it tonight as a twin with the 2.3s and a single 2.3. Really want to try again as a single with the better stance. I can say that everyone that has used this board has loved it which is saying a lot.

Comment

Mine arrived on Friday - too bad it was after we were out all day! Looks like my little girl is looking forward to giving it a go one day this week too! Interesting comments about the fin set up - guess we will be playing around with it ... looks like I'm going to have a "Wednesday Afternoon Meeting" with my buddies to "work through this urgent process issue" ... it might take a lean / CI approach!!

2014-07-26 16.26.26.jpg

Comment

Mine's for sale. I'm too big for this board. I shoulda' got the large size

It's mint..like a few rides behind the boat then back in the cushy' board bag

..300 ..maybe 10 or 15 for shipping OR free shipping if your close enough
                    Last edited by MooseX; 07-27-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

The upturned nose makes it feel a lot shorter than 4'7". Personally I think that 'erect' nose holds the board back. They used up alot of usable 'surface area' with that feature.... Right after that I took out my 4'10" Phase 5 'X'. What a difference! That board is FAST and alot easier to ride.
                      I've been thinking about this since you wrote it. The one time I've been on my 5-1 version since it arrived, it did feel REALLY fast as compared to the 4-7. The longer board felt squirrelly, and I think I already mentioned that I was able to sideslip the tail more than I'd like. But that was with just two fins. Next time I'm going to try it with three long fins and see if I can get the tail to lock in. If so, I may have a big increase in speed over the existing 4-7 board. I did not expect that, but it would be a welcome surprise.

Comment

Mine's for sale. I'm too big for this board. I shoulda' got the large size

It's mint..like a few rides behind the boat then back in the cushy' board bag

..300 ..maybe 10 or 15 for shipping OR free shipping if your close enough
                        Bummer! I guess that means you won't be ordering the Halloween themed boat to match. At least you didn't drop the $700 for the 2014 one.
                        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Thanks for the feedback MooseX. Im still searching for a board and my instincts were telling me this board is too small for me. From your post we are close in size and stature and I didn’t want to buy this board if it was too small for me.

Has anyone tried the other boards for sale on there? Such as the Ronix Marshmallow and the Ronix Koal ?

Comment

The marshmallow is a lame board IMO. Rode one last week, was not impressed at all.

Comment

Matt - you should just get ahold of Brock from Doomswell and try out some of the boards he makes and see what you like. Not sure if you know those guys or not but I think they are based in Dallas. http://www.doomswell.com/wakesurfboards

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                                Matt - you should just get ahold of Brock from Doomswell and try out some of the boards he makes and see what you like. Not sure if you know those guys or not but I think they are based in Dallas. http://www.doomswell.com/wakesurfboards
                                Thanks Tim. My buddy was just telling me about these guys last week. I may have to give these guys a shout.

Comment

Working...
                                X