Futures Fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allan Kendall View Post
    Congrats to Timmy...He's the proud new owner of a set of Black Stixx from Futures Fins.

Congrats. Is the S for small?

Comment

Skippabcool,

Yes, there are three sizes categories Futures Fin has...S, M, L, based on rider weight.
      Fin School...http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-school.php
      Squid
      squidswake@gmail.com

Comment

Skippabcool,

Yes, there are three sizes categories Futures Fin has...S, M, L, based on rider weight.
        Fin School...http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-school.php
        Are those going to be ok? We are all 190+ riding that board. What size are the ones you are using?

Comment

same....dont over think it, Let me do that...you just surf!!! LOL
          Squid
          squidswake@gmail.com

Comment

same....dont over think it, Let me do that...you just surf!!! LOL
            Yes sir!

Comment

I've been looking at other fin manufacturers to see if I can make something else work. The Nubsters look like they will but, I need a primary fin. Any ideas?

The FCS fin plug/ slot isn't quite the same size as the Futures C5 box, so you'll be doing some shaving/sanding/cursing until it does fit. Also the Nubsters have no CANT built into the fin. Your C5 and the TW1 canards have a pretty significant cant built into the base.

A more vertical fin will tend to generate more down-the-line speed, all things being equal. The nubs are not similar at all, though. They are double foiled and not a real efficient fin.

Have you ever thought of making your own custom fin for that C5, box?
              Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                I've been looking at other fin manufacturers to see if I can make something else work. The Nubsters look like they will but, I need a primary fin. Any ideas?

The FCS fin plug/ slot isn't quite the same size as the Futures C5 box, so you'll be doing some shaving/sanding/cursing until it does fit. Also the Nubsters have no CANT built into the fin. Your C5 and the TW1 canards have a pretty significant cant built into the base.

A more vertical fin will tend to generate more down-the-line speed, all things being equal. The nubs are not similar at all, though. They are double foiled and not a real efficient fin.

Have you ever thought of making your own custom fin for that C5, box?
                Actually, I have. I found my original fins from my Landlock and was kicking around the idea of cutting some out of those. The shape I can do. The foil and cant? I kinda doubt it.

That's why I was looking at the Rainbows for Futures boxes. They are a solid base and I could easily cut them down to work in a C5 box. I was also looking at possibly a glass on set but, I don't want to f up my Walzer so, scratch that idea.

The only thing I like about the Nubsters is the base. I'm not about to buy that fin.

I rode the TW1s for the first time last weekend and wasn't exactly bowled over. In all honesty, it wasn't really a fair trial. It wasn't the best day of riding. Not that it was bad, I've just had much better. They seemed to be slightly faster down the line but, very minimal. They rotate (turn) slower than the C5s but, they felt like they really made a difference upon recovery. I didn't have to pump nearly as much in order to catch back up. It seemed like my pumps were 10x as efficient.

How about a fin build thread?
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

That would be fun. You can't use epoxy for fins, it's just to flexy. I'll be getting some vinylester for some resin infusion work that I'm planning. I could lay up a test panel.

Are you maybe just looking for a "bigger" C5? The canard for the TW1 twinzer set up is significantly different than the C5. Certainly deeper, but it's not a great foil.

It's possible to find FCS fins that would be the right size and shape, but it's the location of the fin tabs that will prove challenging. Most twinzer setups for FCS fin plugs use two tab for the canards. One literally at the leading edge of the fin and the other 3/4 of the length back. You can cut one of the tabs off, but they tend to flex and bend weird when you turn or pump.

So, bigger/better C5?

Comment

Yeah, I didn't really like the TW1. It just felt kind of dead. A bigger, say 3 3/4" - 4" C5 would be ideal.

Comment

That's a big increase. I'm not sure that the C5 that large will function as it should. It's mostly designed to aid in increasing attachment to the rail fins.

What do you think about testing a longboard side bite? Here is a link to a set.

I think I'll get the picture in there. This has the general dim's you're wanting. If you carefully trim the leading tab off and then shave/trim/curse the trailing tab, you'll have a functional fin for the C5 boxes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The thing I don't like about the FCS base in this application is the tab location. It would be so far off center that it would seem extremely stressful on the fin. I would rather cut down a Futures base and leave as much "tab" as possible. The natural composite Futures have a semi solid base and it would seem like a better base to trim.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                          I wonder why other fin makers haven't made versions with IS and Ronix compatible fin bases. Not rocket science, and those brands have a lot of market penetration.
                          Each fin company has a patent on their own fin base and fin box design. Companies legally cannot make fins that fit into other boxes.

There have been several companies that pop up in the surf industry that try new box and fin designs, but the companies can rarely compete against FCS and Futures. It may be different for the wakesurf community.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                            The thing I don't like about the FCS base in this application is the tab location.
                            I hear you on that. The natural composites, while solid, there are indents to help reduce weight. After you trim the tipppy-top of the base so it fits in the slot, only the ribs extend all the way out to the walls of the C5. Maybe, fill in the indents with some super hard epoxy and cab-o-sil?

I wish we had more options, at retail, here!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdad View Post
                              I hear you on that. The natural composites, while solid, there are indents to help reduce weight. After you trim the tipppy-top of the base so it fits in the slot, only the ribs extend all the way out to the walls of the C5. Maybe, fill in the indents with some super hard epoxy and cab-o-sil?

I wish we had more options, at retail, here!
                              There is a distinct rib pattern and there is a center section in that pattern. I'm thinking of cutting away everything but that center section. I suppose you could fill in the middle with something epoxy, as you say. With the way the grub screw goes in though, you might only need to fill the back side if anything.

Comment

Futures now has a nubster of their own
                                http://calmarinesports.com/futures-f...iling-fin.html
                                Attached Files
                                www.wake.victoriaskimboards.com

Comment

Working...
                                X