P5 hole repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P5 hole repair

Anyone have a thought on the best material to patch a hole in a surf style P5 I have? Eps core. My guess is someone smacked it on one of my surf plates, looks like it was hit with an axe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Originally posted by gumby
    I guess what do you want it to look like? you could use marine tex. it would be white/or I think they make gray. It would be cool to repair it then get it hydro dipped.I have wanted to do one of mine to match the dash in the boat since I had it done. If I was going to do the hydro dip route I would probably use west systems snd glass mat. it isn't UV stable that wouldn't matter if if you dipped it.
    It’s on the bottom. I care far less about it looking great, than I do not absorbing water, or getting weaker around it. Our old Ronix got a couple of holes , we kept riding it as is, and it got crazy heavy. I know a couple of guys that hydro dip, so that’s a cool idea. My original thought was epoxy resin and a lightweight fiber mesh, but I probably need to fill the gouge with something as a backing to the epoxy. I can do the Ronix first, to make sure it will bond well to the existing epoxy.

I wonder if they can mask the hydro dip to just cover the bottom, or something to keep the edges clean, and off the pad.

Comment

I’ve found Solar ez works pretty well for small repairs. Might more than just epoxy repair for a large repair.

https://www.solarez.com/product/epoxy/

Comment

Dam edit button!!!! "my pods". also I am not claiming I know how the they don't get the dip where they don't want is but my lines from black to dip is sharp. so sharp I would call it perfect. it doesn't fade to dip what I mean by Sharp. Zackdogg
        That’s hopeful, then! I’ve seen guns and some stuff done with the hydro dip, but can’t think of anything that I remember seeing part they didn’t do. It would be a cool way to do a board, as it’s a nice finish. The bottom of that board looks a little screwy where it was cooked in a surf pocket on a 110° day, anyways. Be a good test project. Thanks for letting me into that creative Gumby brain!!

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
          I’ve found Solar ez works pretty well for small repairs. Might more than just epoxy repair for a large repair.

https://www.solarez.com/product/epoxy/
          It isn’t huge, maybe 1/4” wide by 2” long. I saw that stuff online, but have never messed with it, which I have with epoxy resins, so maybe it’s real similar. I’ll order some, and try it on the Ronix, before the P5. I’m going to order a Kanuk, or Soulcraft, but I guess I’ll have to either inspect it after every rider, or be more selective as to who rides it.

Comment

Ding All 3 Oz (84ml) Super Epoxy Repair Kit for Small to Medium Size Epoxy and Polyester Surfboards Repairs https://a.co/d/2g8oEUm

I used this stuff on my doomswell neo a couple weeks ago and was pretty happy with the results both structurally and looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only downside I’ve found with the ding all products is they took forever in the sunlight to cure and completely become hard. The Solar ez stuff only needs a few minutes.

Comment

I just looked at the solarez website, and their stuff looks pretty trick. The 1 part, fiber in it, and UV cure sold me. 1 thing to keep in mind, guessing the guys who said anything here already know, but someone reading this later may not, is don’t use a polyester product on an EPS (styrofoam) core board, which some of their products are. It will eat that EPS core. You’ll want an epoxy product for anything that’s going to contact EPS. This is what I ordered. They also have a microlite filler, which would probably work good if you jacked a big hole in the foam to fill that void, then I’d probably do some of the ding repair as a surface on that. I’ll snap a couple of before and after pics, and report back with my experience, when I fix it.

Comment

Forgot to take a pic of the original ding, but that SolarEZ is killer stuff! Thanks for the recommendation @bsreid!! Easy to apply, and it layers up nice. Being clear, it’s pretty hard to even see. I would definitely highly recommend. I did 3 or 4 layers. Hit the first couple with 100 grit, between each, and wet sanded the last 2 with 600grit. On the last layer, I put cellophane over the top, smoothed it out with an old hotel room key, and threw it in the sun for 5 minutes to cure. Super easy to work with, and the repair feels tougher than the rest of the board. I will definitely use this stuff again!

Comment

Well... That looks like it turned out well. Nice job.
                    Thanks brotha!! I’m happy with it, way better than sending it back to P5, which I’m assuming would mean not having that board the rest of the summer. I’m stoked on that product, already started fixing that Koal up, hopefully the rookies will ride that and beat the hell out of it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X