Learned how to ride the hydrofoil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned how to ride the hydrofoil!

Just back from Lake Powell where I learned how to ride a hydrofoil (Sky Ski)! This guy Toby that I went with was pretty good and very generous and taught me how to ride it in only 3 times! I was very excited to even get the chance and just completely ecstatic that I learned on my 3rd time out! I rode it in the morning and afternoon the first day with hardly any success and then on the morning of the second day it all clicked and I was up and "flying" around the lake!!

I can't even tell you how fun this thing is! I'm hooked and they have an old air chair brand ski that they said they will sell me for $350 so I can get started for next season!!!! If you've never ridden one, they are just amazing!!!

Here's a picture of Toby doing a flip:

sweet
    "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Congrats! Welcome to the darkside! IMO - Skip the old Air Chair and invest in a Skyski. You will save alot of frustration!

Gainer with a tail grab - -nice!
      If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

I guess my thought was that I could get that one and really figure out if it was something that we wanted to continue to do and if so I could probably sell it for $350 to the next guy since they seem to be a hot item. I was warned that the air chair one wouldn't ride like the nice Sky Ski that I was on though.

Comment

It would be similar to a slalom skier going from a double boot HO high performance to putting 2 boots on a 6 foot 2x4

I have been riding since '94 and probably have about 200+ rides on the old air chair.

If you get it, you have to upgrade the seat belt, upgrade the foot straps and perform a modification called the 'tail bone cut out'. If you do this, then the ski will be safe to ride. If not, I would not use it.

I rode my ski without the tail bone cut out modification, I hit a big roller and slid off the front of the seat, I ended up bruising my tailbone. Still hurts 10 years later...
          Last edited by skyski_tige; 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM.
          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Alrighty then, I will have to keep an eye out for good deals then. I'm in no hurry since our season is basically over here in Colorado.

Comment

That looks so freaking cool!

Comment

Working...
              X