No announcement yet.

Rival Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin made it sound like he is surprised when it goes longer than a year without failing. It was probably my fault for neglecting the boat for so long this winter. Last year I did not let a single month go by without taking her out.

When I asked if I should put another gate valve in or just go manual, he said that I could go with another electric valve, but plan on replacing that one in a year or so too.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

That sucks!! Wish you the best!!
      Let it be!!!

Comment

One more thing.

Tige compensates for feeling neglecting by putting huge bolts in their seats. They must be nearly 3 inches long when 1 might do. Jim pointed out to me these bolts under the seats, and they are worth watching. My surf sack has not had any damage from them, but I will be putting some nylon covers or some sort of protector over the end of them so that I do not have a problem in the future. This pic is looking inside the long storage compartment on the port side. This looks back to the rear port locker that has my life vests in it, and some miscellaneous other garbage.
        Attached Files

Comment

gate valve

i had a fun time messing with valves and such on my custom built system. Now I dont need any of them. I sliced the scoop off my through hull and cleaned it up a bit with the grinder. Put check valves on my intake likes and now my bags fill when the pumps are on, and only when they are on, and empty only when they are empty. I originally had a ball valve installed under the table pole insert as you are suggesting. all fun and games until your engine is warm or you reach in that dark hole and find the snake that made his home there. Use gravity and check valves for day to day and save your gate/ball valve for emergencies such as when your pump housing breaks and you are taking on water...

Comment

MY GATE valve went bad as well, they sold me one at cost, like 60 bucks, and I went about and replaced it. Your correct though the manual close doesn't work, and it sucks! Mine stripped out first time I tried to close it manually.

yeah the gate valve really is a piece of crap!! I think I'll probably be taking mine out,and just put a manual switch. I don't use ballast that much, and when I do it's all day.
            Last edited by Domsz06; 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM.
            Originally posted by G-MONEY
            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
              yeah the gate valve really is a piece of crap!!
              Hum!

Comment

sorry, just speaking the truth. ESPECIALLY when the person seems surprised they only last one year, give me a break, for paying well over a grand for this system it should last longer then a year. just my

Comment

If you look at all my post about ballast, I have warned about using the electronic gate valve. When you have to replace 5-10 a year you learn not like them.

Comment

I'm not trying to say I told you so, but I remember warning everyone that those valves won't last too long, especially in the heat. If you don't mind taking them apart, they can be lubed and kept working. But due to their location, that is a real pain.

I wat the first to install the solution that Kevin is recommending. I installed a 1-1/2" brass ball valve in place of the RV slide valve. Mine is located directly under the back seat, about 12" to the starboard side of the table fitting. I went to West Marine and bought a 6" deck plate with a clear lid. I can't find the clear lid on their website, but here is a similar one-
                    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0

It is not as big a hassle as I thought it would be. I lift the seat cushion, take off the lid, open the valve, and reverse the steps when the bags are full. It is also a lilttle more comforting to know that I have a more positive closure on the big water scoop. There are other solutions, but they are expensive. You can buy a valve actuator for the ball valve but you could pay $150+ for it. The ball valve was around $30 and the deck lid was $16. If everyone will take a deep breath and relax, you'll figure it is no big deal to open and close it manually.

Comment

I figure I'll use mine till it breaks. this one is going on it's 3rd year. Once it breaks, I'll fix it. Until then, what's the point

Comment

Paublo gave me the warning first time around, so the 'I told you so' is justified for sure. Rival thought that they had a 'new and improved' gate valve and hoped that it wouldn't be a problem so much. So much for new and improved.

I think that what Paublo said is for sure what I want to do.

Doug,
                        Thanks for your thoughts, too. Grinding off the scoop is an option. But I am in love with how fast it fills when underway, and I would lose that if I grind off the scoop.

Comment

i'll just look into the water irigation valves. They have valves, why couldn't we use something like that. I mean lowes, Home depot, they all have valves, couldn't it be made to work on 12volt?

Comment

BTW, on the trap door, I do need something that will fit my 16 inch forearm and 18 inch biceps.

Comment

Hey Tall, why don't you cut those long bolts on the bottom of your seats BEFORE covering them with something? A little extra protection!
                              I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

Originally posted by rushin View Post
                                Hey Tall, why don't you cut those long bolts on the bottom of your seats BEFORE covering them with something? A little extra protection!
                                That's what I was thinking. I have the same ones holding my interior panels to the hull and when I put my new Neat Cleats in, guess what was right in the way and what the solution was?
                                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X