Rival Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What he said...

If the gate valve were to fail, I could close it with a screwdriver manually. If I were to have some catastrophe between the gate valve and the intake...like a hose comes loose or something, then my boat will rapidly fill with water and I'll be contacting my insurance.

I thought about putting a switch valve in that can be turned by hand, but that would actually seem to increase my risk because it puts 2 more connections in line. Connections would be the most likely place to fail.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy
      What he said...
      I thought about putting a switch valve in that can be turned by hand, but that would actually seem to increase my risk because it puts 2 more connections in line. Connections would be the most likely place to fail.
      You could then install an in-line ball valve that would screw onto the 1.5" thru hull scoop valve as an emergency shut off.

Comment

Seacocks are made specifically for this purpose. Thruhull connects to the seacock and any hoses to the fitting off the seacock. Brass or that Marelon (sp?) which I believe is nylon. The seacock has a handle that closes the water off at the hull to prevent flooding.
        Buy my kid's board! http://www.flyboywakesurf.com

Comment

I rather ask the man at Lowes for a ball valve than a seacock.

Comment

Saved some $ and built my own ballast system.

I've just completed a 2000lb built in ballast system for my 03 Tige 22V. Finally got out and tested the system in chilly 50 degree Kansas water and most everything seems to be working as planned. System fills in about 5 minutes with the boat underway. I am using 1.5 thru hull with 5 Attwood Tsunami 1200 pumps. Total cost was just north of $600. THe only major diff I see with what I built from scratch and the rival system is the electric gate. I used a manual ball valve. I also added a deck plate under my seat cushion so I could access the valve and see the pumps in the event of some disaster. 1200 in back and 800ish up front with TAPS on 4 seems to make a nice wake. I'm still having a tough time matching the wake of buddies SAN 210 w 2000+lbs. Any tips?

Comment

make friends with fat chicks.
              Freude am Fahren.

Comment

fat chicks?

Thats always an option, but who wants to feed a pack of tundra sows?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruune
                  make friends with fat chicks.
                  And when the weather turns cold they'll keep ya warm
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

bring the ho-hos and they will come.

plus, they're easier to move around than sacks- for when you want to surf, then wakeboard.

...just dont let your friends see you with them in your boat.
                    Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Re: fat chicks?

Originally posted by dougofkc
                      Thats always an option, but who wants to feed a pack of tundra sows?
                      There's always Alvie...apparently, chicks (not the fat ones) dig him. Not sure if he likes ho-hos...
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by Ruune

...just dont let your friends see you with them in your boat.
                        Friends understand. It's the rest of the boating community that thinks your running a whaling vessel.
                        "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
                          Friends understand. It's the rest of the boating community that thinks your running a whaling vessel.

HA! I always love the Missouri fishermen who stop us and ask if the tower is for harpon fishing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dougofkc
                            HA! I always love the Missouri fishermen who stop us and ask if the tower is for harpon fishing!!!
                            LOL, we were asked once if the tower speakers were crappie lights, and the boardraccks were rod holders.
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril
                              LOL, we were asked once if the tower speakers were crappie lights, and the boardraccks were rod holders.
                              Thats pretty funny. I have had people mistake the tower speakers for fog lights.

Comment

Ballast system issue

Now that I have had the system for a little while, I have noticed a few things.

Remember my whining that they did not send all of the necessary parts? One of the things they forgot to send was the screws to hold the through hull in place, so I bought those myself. They looked like stainless screws when I bought them...but this is what they look like now...definitely not rustproof. I have now removed them and replaced them with stainless screws.

I do have a leak somewhere...when I use the system I always get some water out of the boat at the ramp. Never enough that the bilge comes on, but some day I will track it down.

My work computer does not have a decent photo editor...forgive the small size, but you get the idea.
                                Attached Files
                                Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
                                X