Oil and Oil Filter Change - Please Help a First-Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil and Oil Filter Change - Please Help a First-Timer

Fellow TO's - I'm ashamed to say I've never changed the oil in a boat before. Somehow I've already managed to put 100 hours on my '08 20V (5.7L Marine Power Engine) this summer, so I know it's time. I bought one of the Oil Extractors from West Marine, but I still need to grab a filter and of course the oil (not sure what kind I need of either).

Before I get started, I want to make sure I've got the basics down. I've looked all through the previous posts, but I couldn't find any pics that confirm what's what.

Is this dipstick pictured the correct one for the oil?

Is this the oil filter?

Where do I fill the oil back in, and how can I figure out what kind to use? The engine manual was really generic and useless... Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Files

yes thats the dipstick
    yes thats the oil filter
    at our shop we use kendall 15w40 synthetic blend oil. Other options for oil would be rotella 15w40 or penzoil marine grade 15w40.
    You dont have it pictured but you add oil on top of the valve cover. there is a screw on cap towards one end.

Comment

Great...thanks a ton! I found a matching oil filter at Napa (their version of the Bosch D3322 pictured). Also - I read in the manual that "Marine Power does not recommend Multi-viscosity non-detergent type oils", which I'm guessing means I should just use straight 30W...now if only I can find it somewhere

Comment

Talked to Marine Power today - the guy told me that the engine manual I have is outdated and generic. This is the current recommendation for my engine (2008 5.7L 350 V8):
        -20W/50 Oil (can be synthetic or synthetic blend if > 100 hrs; marine grade not necessary as long as it is a good grade oil such as Valvoline or Penzoil)
        -Napa Gold Oil Filter #3225 (PH13)

Comment

This is odd. When I called MP when I had the '04, they recommended straight 30w or 40w. Because this is what they test the engines with they told me.

I asked about a synthetic and they said no. A synthetic seems like it would be better because of the higher RPM's.
          I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

If you go to synthetic, stick with it. You arent supposed to change back and forth.
            So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

We use napa gold oil filter part# 1069

Comment

Hi Travis550

Where did you find the oil filter? I've got a Marine Power 5.7L engine on my 2007 Tige RZ2 and I can't see it very easily even after removing the top plastic cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Wakesurfection View Post
                  Hi Travis550

Where did you find the oil filter? I've got a Marine Power 5.7L engine on my 2007 Tige RZ2 and I can't see it very easily even after removing the top plastic cover.
                  You have to remove engine side cover on drivers side or starboard side.
                  I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Working...
                  X