Sea Strainer for 20i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sea Strainer for 20i

I added a sea strainer to my boat last night. I ordered the 1-1/4" Shewood strainer from iBoats.com, and it was $63 with shipping. This was a bytch to get in place, as the engine compartment on the 20i is not very big.
    I cut about 10" out of the inlet hose upstream of the tranny cooler on the oil filter side of the engine. I used 5" long a 1" nipple, and I cut it in half for my connections to the hose. I installed 1-1/4" x 1" bushings in the strainer. I had to remove the cooler and hoses to get the strainer into the spot where it would be in the "stock" position. Once it was in, I slid the cooler back in place and installed the oil hoses. THAT WAS HARD! Then I remounted the cooler to the bracket off of the engine mount and tightened up all the hoses.
    It was such a tight install that I ended up with 4 or 5 cuts on my fingers and hands. Im glad its done. I will post some pics later if anyone cares to see.
    So this monkey walks into a bar...

So do you have to remove the cooler to be able to clean out the strainer?

Comment

What year 20i and do you have any pics?

Comment

Forgot to say earlier, great decision on the strainer, I added the same one to my 2003 22v after the 1st tiny piece of hydrilla clogged the trans cooler, easy to fix but annoying and that water gets hot to the touch. I never had a problem since but I do have to keep an eye on the strainer and clean it out every so often.

When you are cleaning it out be careful not to let that o ring on the cup fall in the lake. It will seem like it will stay in place but falls out as soon as you dump the water out and it does not float. I keep a spare o ring on the boat just in case.

I will try to remember to take a pic and post it. It is cut in just before the v-drive cooler. I mounted it high enough that I can clean it out on the water without needing to add a seacock and can visually check it when looking in the engine compartment.

Comment

Working...
        X