Pull up along side the dock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull up along side the dock

Hey guys! My boyfriend and I have just purchased a 2011 RZR.. he has been around boats all his life.. Me, well I have only been around them since we started dating (4 years ago). I never thought to learn the technicalities of driving a boat. Now that we have one, I am having some issues pulling up to the dock to pick riders up. I can drive it on and off the trailer with no problems, but can't seem the grasp the concept of pulling up along side the dock. I seriously almost wrecked it the second day we had it. I know that practice makes perfect, but any tips would help. Thanks in advance!!

P factor

P factor is the concept of the propeller rotation on a v drive pushing the stern in a direction opposite of it's rotation. In fact, this is prevalent on anything with a prop on it such as airplanes, which I started flying when I was 18..

So, how does this translate into docking?

I find the easiest way to dock my 23v is to approach the dock at as slow as possible speed, at a shallow angle, bow first with the dock to the starboard side

I then point the bow at the point on the dock I want it at, with a very shallow angle till the bow is about a foot away from the dock and stern maybe 3 feet from dock, then slip it into idle reverse.

The prop on my boat rotates so as to pull the stern of the boat to the dock.

You can work with the approach angle to compensate for the wind.

This is just the way I do it, there are many other ways...

With a little practice, you will look like a pro in no time!

P.S Welcome to the Forum!!
    Boating Lake Mead since 2000

Comment

First of all, make sure to always take it slow and easy. Since you can launch and retrieve, it sounds like you are already getting the hang of the steering perculiarities of an inboard. If you have some time available when the dock is quiet, then practice, practice, practice.

This short video clip gives a good technique for docking:

And, by the way, we love pictures of everyone's boat on here. Please post up some pics of your new baby

Comment

Oh - congrats on the new boat, welcome aboard the forum, and good luck!

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Post some pics of your boat.

Keep practicing and you will get it. Also it is awesome that you help out with loading and unloading there are not many that do.

Comment

Approach with the dock to starboard (right) at a 30-45* angle alternating one second in forward, 5 seconds in neutral.

Approx 10 feet off the dock, turn all the way to port (left) and go one second in forward then back to neutral with the wheel still hard to port, this will swing the stern of the boat toward the dock.

The boat should now be almost parallel to the dock approx 3 feet off, sliding sideways toward it, moving slightly forward.

Now shift into reverse and turn the wheel to full starboard (right), this will stop your forward momentum as well as use the prop walk to bring the stern into the dock. Stay in reverse only until the forward momentum stops, then take it out of gear, the boat will continue to slide sideways.

Finally, at the last second, usually about 6" off the dock (and the stern of the boat will be first to make contact), your wheel is still hard to starboard (rt) tap it into forward for half a second. This will stop the slide sideways and keep the back end of the boat from contacting too hard.

It's important to remember: reverse is your brake and going in and out of gear keeps you slow and is completely fine for the transmission and v-drive.

Good luck!
            Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thanks for the much needed advice guys! I will keep that in mind next time I am out there! Unfortunately my fiancee and I will be extremely busy over the next few weeks, so idk when we will get the chance to get back out there..

Some pictures are up.. only a couple

Comment

If the breeze is blowing the right way I always pull up parallel 5 or 6 feet out and drift sideways,

otherwise dingle's video is good. Just remember you can only turn 1 way when in reverse.
                Life is good...
                Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

I just let my wife do it.She's a pro.
                  I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Working...
                  X