loading and unloading inboard on trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loading and unloading inboard on trailer

I'm new to inboards and I'm finding it challenging to load and unload my boat. Loading mostly. I haven't quite figured out the proper depth to have the trailer, the proper speed to approach the trailer. I start a good distance out, come in very straight and seems at the last second before I enter the trailer I get crooked and hit the trailer guides. Other day I actually broke one off. Snapped the pvc is all. But anyway I know its practice practice practice and more practice but it shouldn't be this difficult. Can anyone give me some tips and pics or whatever? Much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brandon
    2002 Tige 22i Type R

I put my trailer in very shallow. Get the boat's bow on the bunks and then winch it on while someone eases the truck down. Doesn't take to much longer and is a lot less chance of damage.

Comment

As a general rule the tips of the fenders should be out of the water. Now of course this will change with different ramp angles and trailer designs.

You are going to want to approach slower than idle. As you approach just bump the boat in and out of gear to make steering adjustments. The biggest thing here is to make small adjustments! A short bump with a little rudder will take you farther than you think. Lastly don't forget that reverse will pull the stern to the right. You can definitely use this to you advantage but use it sparingly as it can quickly get you outa wack.
      Common Sense is not so Common
      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I have owned boats for 30 years, and backed in maybe 650 times. I dont agree with everyone on the shallow launch depth. I put my fenders under water. I also drive mine up between the vertical side bunks, and bump it onto the front Vee shaped bow-bunk. I have done it this way for years.
        My boat sits in a specific place on the trailer, thanks to the configuration of the bunks and winch strap. If it sitts back 2 inches, my truck bounces. SO... it all has to be right, and a deep launch position works best for me and mine.
        So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Consider getting on the ramp when no one is there.. and do it 5 or 6 times in a row. Like you said, practice practice...
          So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

We back ours in until the back of the boat just begins to float, which is usually right when the front fender tips are even with the water. During loading I put her in gear just enough to get the boat moving and just guide her in, hook up the strap and winch the rest of the way with a little throttle help.

Comment

I may be one of those weird people out there but I don't believe in running my boat up on to the trailer mainly its sucks if you get it wrong and second that it is hard on the bunks and I hated replacing the bunk that was ruined from the previous owner that ran it up on it in shallow time and time again. Now what I do is when I put the boat in I notice the depth of the trailer that just starts to float the boat and if I can un-do the winch hook and then shove the boat off then that is just about right for pick up. To get to this spot again just take a look at how far your truck tires are from the water and you will get it every time. On pick up I pull the boat on with a rope and then just winch it on by hand if I can't winch it then I need to be just a tad deeper if it winches on fairly easy I may be a tad deep but almost always the boat sits pretty good on the trailer.

It just takes practice and it helps if you go to the same ramp all the time because the angle of the ramp makes a big difference. Good luck!

Comment

My wife puts ours on the trailer.I back the trailer in until the front bunks are 1" under water at the end closest to the truck.This lets the boat come up to about 1' to 1-1/2 feet from the front v bumper.Then i crank it the rest of the way.This technique has worked for all the boats we have owned and all the different ramp angles we have had to deal with. P.S. my wife only lets me drive if she is wakeboarding.
                I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

On mine, the last 12" of bunks are showing, and the "V" guide is just out of the water. If the fenders are out of the water, that's even better, but that depends on the ramp.

Follow Zad's instructions on the gearbox and throttle. Start from a ways out.

Good luck, and post up pictures of your boat. We like boat pictures.
                  The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

All trailers and boats are a bit different. I do almost exactly what AdaminMN does, but again our boats are much older and a different design than yours.

I usually coast in very slowly (it takes some practice actually figuring out your boat and when you are in the middle between your trailer guides). I cut the motor just as I pass the guides. The boat then just floats on up onto the bunkers. Then winch it the rest of the way.

After seeing two people take their props out on their trailers last year, I've decided to just coast the last section. As long as you look calm and composed on the ramp, people will think you meant to do it .

Comment

Working...
                    X