Steering Cable Change 22 i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Cable Change 22 i

I saw all the forums on replacing v drives steering cable, anyone have insight on direct drives. I have a 2006 22 i. I did one with a buddy on a centurion years ago, same thing I would imagine. Difficult or can do? Tks

super easy on the 22i. The hardest part is having arms long enough to reach the bolt/nut on the rudder.

Comment

thanks

Comment

any instruction manuels or ???

Comment

I did my 21i last year I unbolted the gas tank and put a wood block under it (didn't remove it fully) to give me more room. I cut the old cable in the engine bay area and used it to pull the new cable up to the helm.

Comment

Basically, Pop the bilge hatch behind the engine cover, turn the steering wheel so the rudder arm is easier to reach.
            Remove bolt attaching cable to rudder arm, loosen the bolts on the clamp that holds the cable in place,remove the four bolts from the rack from the steering wheel assembly, remove the pretty panel in the drivers foot well (it covers the cables and the hole cut in the floor, the screws are hiding in the carpet, use a magnet to help locate them, maybe 3?)
            Using a towel that can be trashed, pull the cable out through the drivers area, wiping the bilge grim off as you go. If you have a very large trash bag you can coil it in as you go (its going to be pretty filthy).
            Re-install the new cable the same way, feed rudder end down the hole in the drivers foot well, you can easily guide it with the engine cover open. Bolt up the rudder and clamp. Return the rudder to a centered position, position the steering wheel to center and mount the rack to the steering pinion and thats about it.
            Sometimes the wheel is off a little and can be adjusted by playing with the rack position and/or removing the allen bolts that hold the wheel to the hub and adjusting it that way.

Comment

I did my 22i and posted pictures and instructions in the How To change a steering cable thread.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...?t=7338&page=3

Comment

I just did mine on a '05 22i. If you read the link above its a great resource. My 1 1/8" nut came off real easy. Bought an 18 foot Teleflex Extreme 154 series cable and it was a perfect fit. Probably took me 1.5hrs total but I did it over a few days since I had to wait for my new cable. Now the steering is smooth as butter...
                Last edited by gomerjohnson; 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM.
                2005 22i, Marine Power 340hp MPI, Perfect Pass, Clarion stereo, BI boom, Dorsey tandem axle, swing away tongue

Comment

Thanks sooo much guys, going to tackle it soon before our Powell trip!

Comment

Gomer how much did the cable run ya?

Comment

I think I paid $162 and combined it with shipping of some water pump impellers from Bakesonline. Probably not the best deal but as a package is was cheapest for me.
                      2005 22i, Marine Power 340hp MPI, Perfect Pass, Clarion stereo, BI boom, Dorsey tandem axle, swing away tongue

Comment

Working...
                      X