2006 20V steering cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 20V steering cable

Help me I am running out of bullets and family members I got the old cable out no problem got new cable thru hole up front and tried to go under the tank not enough room decided to go over tank the front of tank is so close to the floor it will not allow nut to clear have been trying to move cable over to drivers side and run along edge of tank but can't get it to turn any ideas son says to drop tank but isn't that a b-tch to lift back up and reattach? have not started to drink yet but it is getting very close

I ran mine under the tank.
    when i pulled out my old one, i tied a pul line to it.
    Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Exact same problem I had when changing it on my 2001 21V. After hours of trying to manipulate between the floor and the tank on my own. I was finally able to get it with my son helping and while shining a flash light looking up there and using a thin stick to help nudge the nut end of the cable in the very slight gap between the floor and tank.

The whole time I had a rope attached to pull it through but the clearance was so tight and the angle just enough off that unless you are looking and manipulating it won't clear. Once we discovered this it went smoothly. The rest fo the job paled in comparison. I did a little write up about it at the time (last summer). If you search I'm sure you will find it and other accounts as well.

This a well discussed item, some have had little difficulty and other like me had a tough go of it.

Good luck, get a flash light and a long firm stick and get you head down there so you can see where it getting helpd up, all while pulling it through with your leader rope (hope you have this attached already or it may be near impossible).

Comment

I did a similar thing in my 08 20V...I just unscrewed the 4 black notches that held in the gas tank (after removing the floor cover) and slid the tank forward about 1/2 foot. I had to use a long thin piece of metal to catch the cable from going behind the tank, and then I used a rope to pull it towards the stern. good luck!

Comment

Well last weekend spent 7 hr trying to change steering cable(including dissassembly) in 2006 20V yesterday pumped all the gas out of tank, unscrewed the brackets, took off big filler house (left two smaller houses attached) and slid gas tank towards the back allowing us to put more cable in under floor. Took a piece of wood and shoved cable all the way over to side of tank where there was room for nut on end and it went right thru. reassembled and was done in two hours. Just for the record throw the screws in bracket for gas tank (mine only had 5 screws in three brackets one did not have any in it at all) away and put in new they are SS and stip very easy. Not sure if stearing alignment is dead on but have not been out in 4 weeks getting ready to head to river this a.m. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
          X