How To Refinish the teak swim grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Refinish the teak swim grid

We have an 02 21i. Can anyone give advice on how to refinish the teak grid? Do you dismantle it completely (board for board) or sand the entire surface and then stain and varnish?

Any help is appreciated. Anyone have pics?

Thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by Tigebert; 01-12-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: Spell correct
    Experience - Something you get right after you needed it.

Just take it off the boat and use Star Brites 3 step system; cleaner, brightner, and oil. It only take a few hours to complete and gives it a freshened look, as well as helps preserve the wood for the next boating season.

This should be done annually, when you aren't using the boat during the off season is a great time to accomplish it.

The kit will last for numerous applications.

Comment

If its really dull, a good pressure washing will be a huge plus. I also like to let the teak dry for a day or so after washing.

Lots of great products out there. Use the "Search" button above, you will find lots of threads with tip, pics before and after and product recommendations.

Once one is brought back from the dead, a coat or 2 of oil once or twice a year is all you will need to keep it nice.

IMO, do not varnish or urethane your deck. I did it once based on someones rec, and it looked like @$$ I stripped it back down the next winter and just used oil.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I agree with Chpthril, the varnish types look good at first, but then after the summer is half over, they are all scratched up from board fins. Then they do not clean back up unless you sand them down. Teak oil works best. A coat at the beginning of the summer and then another half way through will keep it looking naturally beautiful and it doesn't have a finish to get scratched up.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. I'll stay away from the varnish for sure. Oil it is. Thanks again.

Comment

Rhino line it throw a seadek fo pad on it and never waste another weekend messing with that platform. It is the next thing I am going to do to my boat! I am so over getting my platform to look nice only to have it last a month and then look like I never took care of it. Granted my platform did sit out in the Florida sun 365 days a year prior to my new cover. I ran out of boat money or this project would be done. So I will have to oil it for one more season and hope my new cover will make it last longer. good luck to you ! I hope yours last longer than mine.

Comment

crappy lookingscrub/clean
              rinse and let dry
              multible coats of oil and let dry.
              Not real sure why my teak turns so dark but when it gets wet or I oil it thats the color it turns.
              after a month or so it will look like the first pic.
              Last edited by kko; 01-14-2011, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
                crappy lookingscrub/clean
                rinse and let dry
                multible coats of oil and let dry.
                Not real sure why my teak turns so dark but when it gets wet or I oil it thats the color it turns.
                after a month or so it will look like the first pic.
                I think your platform looks great. I see you have young kids (as do I) so finding time is difficult. I really like the look of the teak though, It seems to say something about the boat and adds character. Maybe if you oil a few times it will retain the look longer after that long sit it had in the sun. Looks great I think. Was that Starbrites kit you used?

Comment

after you clean it real well, just use the teak oil to maintain the look. Depending on how much its in the sun, I do it about once or twice a month. Lather it in, let it dry, and then lather it in again. Its not real hard, i donno why some people hate it so much. When I clean the boat ill do it when I start and again when I finish that way it has time to soak in!
                  Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Working...
                  X