Winterizing Question - Anit-freeze.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing Question - Anit-freeze.

Thanks for all the great posts on winterizing. I've printed a few processes down and will be completing in the next few weeks.

However, I'm curious if I can REALLY simplify all this. Keep in mind that I'm in GA so I don't have to have the protection required in the Great White North. It's also important to note that I don't plan to run the boat in the winter. I'll just "winterize" once now, then "summerize" once next spring.

QUESTION
    Is it possible to just do a gravity feed of several gallons of anti-freeze into a fake-a-lake, run the engine till you see pink out of the FAE, turn off the engine and let it sit for 5 months?

In theory, it would push a lot of the current settled water out and replace with anti-freeze in every cavity that water would sit.

OR, would it be best to do a combination of pulling the drain plugs, replacing the plugs, then doing this anti-freeze process.

Looking for feedback on this idea.....

Thanks!
    brose

I may have just answered your question in another thread.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13765
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks chpthril, you did answer my question! Is there an easy way to open the termostat quickly and use the anti-freeze?
      brose

Comment

Originally posted by brose View Post
        Thanks chpthril, you did answer my question! Is there an easy way to open the termostat quickly and use the anti-freeze?
        On some engines, you can just pure the antifreeze down the hose on top of the engine, but on most, it's best to pull the t-stat housing and pour it in. All you need is a gasket to put it back together. It would probably be easier to by a sheet of gasket material at the auto parts store and cut a new gasket.

For me here in NC, I never used antifreeze on the Tige because it was sooo easy to drain the system. Once drained, I had no worries. One advantage to the antifreeze is that it does prevent rust.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

brose,
          it is easy to remove the thermostat assembly. on a merc 350 it's just 2 bolts securing it to the engine. I'd remove the 4 hoses connecting to it first and then unbolt it and then pour antifreeze in.

Comment

I have the 6.0L. Does this change anything on the above t-stat comment?
            brose

Comment

Is the 6.0L a closed cooling system? I know some of them are.

Comment

Yes, with the heat exchanger.
                brose

Comment

Originally posted by brose View Post
                  Yes, with the heat exchanger.
                  Then the engine already has antifreeze, so you just need to make sure the raw water side of the heat exchanger is drained.

Comment

Working...
                  X