Tower Forks Ripped Off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tower Forks Ripped Off.

I've read a few DOOHHHH moments on this site over the past few months. I promise I never LOL, just used the great reads as education to keep them from happening to me. Well, we all know that it's inevitable...

Unfortunately, I had mine this weekend. I turned around to pick up my son to wakeboard and didn't realize the rope had wrapped around the tower forks. I hit the throttle to pick him up and..... BAM!! The fork was ripped right off the tower! Scared the crap out of me... DOOHHHH!!!!! This time, I did LMAO.

Luckily, the forks are connected by the board strap so I didn't lose it in the water. The 2 bolts holding it on were sheared in half, otherwise, the fork is in good shape.

My question, any clue how to get these bolts out of the fork?
    Attached Files
    brose

Drill them then use easy outs

Comment

Originally posted by lohe View Post
      Drill them then use easy outs
      X2. May also have to use a little hear to loosen the loctite.

Comment

Originally posted by brose View Post
        I've read a few DOOHHHH moments on this site over the past few months. I promise I never LOL, just used the great reads as education to keep them from happening to me. Well, we all know that it's inevitable...

Unfortunately, I had mine this weekend. I turned around to pick up my son to wakeboard and didn't realize the rope had wrapped around the tower forks. I hit the throttle to pick him up and..... BAM!! The fork was ripped right off the tower! Scared the crap out of me... DOOHHHH!!!!! This time, I did LMAO.

Luckily, the forks are connected by the board strap so I didn't lose it in the water. The 2 bolts holding it on were sheared in half, otherwise, the fork is in good shape.

My question, any clue how to get these bolts out of the fork?

Uh oh, were you power turning!??!
        Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Try a search. I have posted a pic and description of exactly how to easily remove the broken screws. You are lucky that you caught the fork, many go kersplunk!

If you cant find the thread, I will dig up the pic and post again.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril, I looked for the broken screw removal post and couldn't find it. Can you repost?
            brose

Comment

brose - try this:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...olt+extraction

Comment

Originally posted by brose View Post
                chpthril, I looked for the broken screw removal post and couldn't find it. Can you repost?
                Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
                That's the one, thanks dingleberry
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My "Dohh" moment came when I came in a little fast to our houseboat. Came along the side of it and my own waves pushed me into our railing and popped off my rack. I had a swivel rack - that part was ruined, so now it is just attached to the tower.

Comment

Any one know where I can get just one fork my one is in the lake?

Comment

I bought some cheap one from ebay, and it came with a plate and straps and all, I just unbolted and used the fork part.
                      Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I did this on my old boat backing out of the slip. Like others said, a drill and an easy out will make short work of that. Found replacement bolt in the specialty bolt section of my hardware store.

Comment

Looks like the ends of the bolts are flat enough to get a center punch to work. Do that and then drill a small hole in them with a left hand drill bit. The drilling action may break them out enough to get a pair or needle nose vice grips on them. If not, drill out enough to get an EZ out in there (~1/4"). If that doesn't work, try drilling out to a larger size. If still no dice then consider welding a washer to the bolt, the washer should be sized properly to keep the weld slag from contacting the threads of the bolt hole. Then weld a nut to the washer. The nut should have the same outside diameter as the washer - i.e. if you use a 1/4" washer, then use a 7/16" nut. Put a wrench on the nut and back it out. If you are not comfortable doing this, take it to a weld shop and they will hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                            Any one know where I can get just one fork my one is in the lake?
                            What style of fork are you after? I have the port fork and complete starboard rack from a 2013 model with the Alpha Z tower.
                            2013 RZ2 with Convex VX, MLA Custom Sacs

Comment

I'd be tempted to use a Dremel to cut a small slot across the top of the broken bolts and then use a flat screwdriver to unscrew them. Use heat if there's Loctite in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X