Changing a steering cable with a bigger gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing a steering cable with a bigger gas tank

I started off this project reading everything I could about replacing a steering cable on this forum, and there was alot of great advice. I followed everything in the forum posted but I ran into one problem that was not mentioned. I have a bigger gas tank. My tank runs past the hole that you use to run your steering cable thru...which isnt a problem when you cut the old cable and pull it out...but when you attempt to run the new cable shaft (that gets connected to the rudder) thru the hole, the tank totally gets in the way. Below are some pics of how I resolved my issue.
    Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Problem uno one: Not a big enough hole to get the shaft thru with the gas tank directly below it.

Tool used to fix my problem:

What I ended up with after cutting:

The greatest thing Ive seen since...well since yesterday (dont ask):

After it was all put back together:

Look ma...still no hole showing.
    So if you have a bigger tank...doing a little cutting to give you more access, isnt so bad of a job.
    Happy Trails
    Last edited by off2board; 05-11-2010, 12:15 AM.

Very well done, glad to hear you got through, hopefully this will help the next guy out. Interesting that your tank appears to be some sort of plastic, mine is aluminum.

Comment

I need to do this on my boat here soon.... anybody done this on a 2001 20i and know what cable to replace it with??

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I'm gearing up for a steering cable replacement in the next few weeks.

Instead of cutting a larger hole in the floor at the helm, has anyone tried cutting a hole in the vertical bulk head wall so you can lower your angle over the gas tank? I assume you could use a 1 1/2" hole saw.
        Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by wakewilson View Post
          I know this is an old post, but I'm gearing up for a steering cable replacement in the next few weeks.

Instead of cutting a larger hole in the floor at the helm, has anyone tried cutting a hole in the vertical bulk head wall so you can lower your angle over the gas tank? I assume you could use a 1 1/2" hole saw.
          Im not sure where you are referring to as 'vertical bulk head wall'?? Are you referring to that wall thats shown in the included pictures that I (and most others) mount amps too?
          If so...I see where you are going with this...instead of cutting floor out toward the back, I suppose you could cut towards the front....but then you would have a open hole on the others side.
          But...not sure exactly where you are referring to.
          And again...this only applies if you have the larger gas tank. The smaller tank doesnt extend out past that hole, so you will have clearence with the original size hole.

Comment

I was refering to the bulk head that most attach amps too. I was just thinking that the hole would be under the front starboard side seat and you wouldn't be able to see it. I was anticipating needing to cut like you did - but maybe my hole would be larger and the cover wouldn't "cover" it.
            Wilson

Comment

I just replaced my cable, and had to cut the bigger hole in the floor as well. I do not think cutting the hole through the bulkhead would have worked...I think this is one of those "you gotta see it to understand" issues. I used a hole saw and got through quickly...I wish I had known about this issue before spending the time I did trying every which way I could to make that cable get through there!!

Comment

I don't know if you are having the same issue, but my problem was getting the bar portion (that attaches to the rudder tiller arm) through the hole. So I pulled it through the opposite direction. I started it back by the fuel tank and pulled it through to the front. It was a lot easier to do this for my boat.

Comment

Does this mean you got the rack side through the hole?
                  Wilson

Comment

Did you use an 18' cable?
                    Wilson

Comment

Ah, that may be the reason why it was easier for me to do the opposite. I have a rotary helm, not a rack, so it was flexible cable that I was fishing through. But yes, it was the opposite end of the cable. My cable was 17'

Comment

Working...
                      X