Bilge pump turns on, but doesn't pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilge pump turns on, but doesn't pump

My bilge pump turns on, when I throw the switch, but it never pumps any water out. Is this an easy fix, or do I need to swap out the pump?

thanks!

Could be clogged, or there isnt enough water to be picked up.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

It's clogged......

Pull it off the mounting bracket and clean it out
      Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend.

Comment

It may also be a broken hose.
          The factory uses the common corrugated polyethylene hose which I've had break off at the bilge pump fitting.
          Here's a better type bilge hose - http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...4011848a.shtml

Comment

From what I can see, the hose looks fine. But I don't have the best view while it's in the garage.

Comment

So, I took it apart today, and it looked ok inside. I had my wife turn it on, and it spun. I then put a bunch of water back there and nothing. I can hear it trying to pump the water, but it didn't seem to be doing anything. If I can find a direct replacemnt for it, it should be pretty easy to replace. Does anyone know what pump comes in a 2004 Switch V? It's got a white cover (if that helps).

Sorry, I probably should have writtin down what it said, or snapped a pictures. We had a hectic day, the kids weren't behaving very well, and my wife wanted to head home ASAP.

Comment

You have a Rulemate 500. How much water do you have in the pump area? It takes a bit for the pump to get the water moving.

Comment

Lee,

Thanks. I pumped a lot in there with my Tsunami, to the point where the float switch turned on. I heard it spinning, and gurgling, but nothing came out.

Comment

Check to see if the pump is spinning the wrong direction, I had that problem with one of my ballast pumps.

Comment

hmm.... which direction should it be spinning in??

Comment

I personally would just replace the pump
                        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

True, a new pump is $36 @ West Marine, I just need to drive over there and pick one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
                            True, a new pump is $36 @ West Marine, I just need to drive over there and pick one up.
                            For a Rule-Mate 500?

Comment

Yes, is that a good price, or is it too much??

It's actually at boatersland.com, when I did a quick google on rule-mate 500, but West Marine (which is local) will match online prices. I think West Marine was $10-15 more, or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X