Digging into the Medallion Touch Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digging into the Medallion Touch Screen

I'm no EE but I thought I would take a stab at what kind of serviceability these things have and also to look in the future of replacements. As these things fail, some dealerships could keep them for parts.

This screen I have has lost touch functions. I have a feeling its the interface board. I'm at a stand still until I can get my hands on another screen that has some other type of damage. I wanted to lay out the components in case anyone was interested or if they wanted to take this project further than I am capable of. I'm not handing out any secrets. This is all stuff any of your could see/do if you removed your screen and pulled it apart.

Basic Layout and components
    screen1.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    Oh Yeah!

This is for the display. Input from RCA output from cable to display.
    screen3.jpg

This is the step up voltage controller for the screen and back lighting. It will shock you if you touch the back side with the system on. Hole in finger and i'm still not feeling right lol! Do not mess with this one if the system is powered on.
    screen4.jpg

Ribbon cable for the capacitive touch portion of the screen. This plugs into the board. My suspicion is that the board is what fails when they lose touch, not the screen itself(overlay).
    screen5.jpg
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Is that the Tige Touch 1?

Comment

Yes it is. TT2 is Murphy.

Hey Koolaid,
        Do you think Medallion stocks any of those components individually?? I'm assuming they didn't build them, I wonder if they would tell a guy who did??
        Glad you are okay from playing "Sparky the electrician". Holes in fingers heal right
        I've repaired a couple tv's now but I'm just a parts changed and just switch out the bad board. At least I got the diagnosis right. Funny how 50$ can bring stuff back to life.
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

It appears that the only components medallion makes on it is the screen overlay with the glass, the green board and the rear housing. I am thinking they will not sell any of the internal components. Screen really wasn't designed to be serviceable, kind of like most smart phones, but could be.
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Digitizer

Koolaid,
            Do you still have this screen? I believe the problem many of us are witnessing on these screens is due to a bad digitizer. If you still have this open can you take the screen off to see the digitizer by itself? I want to see if I can source this part. There should be some numbers laser engraved to the side of the glass.

Ryan

Comment

Chunked it a while ago. Had a really sticky, clear solution between the digitizer and the screen itself. When the screens look like they have water in them, its really an air bubble of the screen separating from the digitzer. That fluid starts leaking out into the housing. Didn't want to pull that portion a part and make a hell of a mess.
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have my non-functional medallion screen from my 2013 Z1. The part finally arrived, after 3 months. Tige does not even have the screen in stock. The broken screen looks to have delamination around the edges. I can send pictures....

Comment

Likely due to some 2015 boats being the last ones that used a Medallion system. With the 2019 models out, likely non left under warranty either.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
                    Had a really sticky, clear solution....
                    That sounds like the polarizing fluid, the "liquid" in "Liquid Crystal Display" (LCD).

I strongly suspect the only Medallion-specific part is that green PCB. The screen assembly appears to be made by Mitsubishi and is probably an off-the-shelf product from them that handles the display and touch. Note that they used a high voltage fluorescent backlight for the LCD, hence the bite you got from its output! (Most such backlights these days are LED and hence low voltage.) The Medallion green PCB is the interface between other things on the boat and the off-the-shelf touchscreen.

It's possible you could find that Mitsubishi display package in stock somewhere. It's probably considered NFND ("Not For New Designs") due to the fluorescent backlight but there's probably some stock somewhere. Start with a Google search based on its Mitsubishi part number, which should be on one of the labels on its back.

Comment

This is my biggest fear with my ‘14. What do we do if we encounter problems with the electronics? Especially now since most manufacturers have switched to the Murphy systems and left Medallion.

Comment

It seems that for now Medallion is still making the parts available, albeit not cheap. Look on the bright side, you only have one screen. Some of the new boats are running dual 10" screens and the new SL has 3 screens(4"next to spotters seat). Going to be interesting how that pans out in the long run.

Comment

What are those Mitsubishi part numbers? I can’t quite make them out. I am going to try and source them out.

Comment

Any Updates on this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by esmattcrna View Post
                              I have my non-functional medallion screen from my 2013 Z1. The part finally arrived, after 3 months. Tige does not even have the screen in stock. The broken screen looks to have delamination around the edges. I can send pictures....
                              Do you still have the broken screen? Do you have the part number for the screen if you still have. Medallion says they still have parts for the Touch 1 series

Comment

Working...
                              X