Tower Speakers Cutting Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tower Speakers Cutting Out

I just got my first book this weekend (2007 22Ve) and the kicker tower speakers (2) started cutting out. This was happening at idle and at speed. Asked the previous owner and he stated it just started happening?? The boat has the factory installed speakers. There are two amps and it appears the tower and sub run off the same amp and the in-boat speakers run off the other amp. Anyone else experience the same problem. Thanks in advance.

If done from the factory, the in-boats and sub should be powered by the 700.5 and the two on the tower will be powered (probably bridged) by the 350.4.

Most of the time, these issues are due to improper tuning, even from the factory.

At what volume level did the speakers cut out? Once the head-unit volume level reaches .75 of max, the chance of clipping is almost certain.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

it started cutting out at about 19 - 21 on the volume level and max was 33 (of course I took it all the way...it sounded good even w/o the tower speakers). 75% would be around 24 so close. When I took a look at the wires it appeared the amp was setup as I mention but I am far from an expert...this was also the same report I got from the previous owner. So to get better sound do I need to add another two speakers to the tower or another amp?

Comment

x2 what Chpthril said.

Mine would cut out if the volume was turned up too much. I found that the RCA cables were not done correctly, the gains were too much, and the hz were wrong.

Look at these threads:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ighlight=gains

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...+settings+gain

Comment

Originally posted by glassmaker View Post
          it started cutting out at about 19 - 21 on the volume level and max was 33 (of course I took it all the way...it sounded good even w/o the tower speakers). 75% would be around 24 so close. When I took a look at the wires it appeared the amp was setup as I mention but I am far from an expert...this was also the same report I got from the previous owner. So to get better sound do I need to add another two speakers to the tower or another amp?
          After I tuned mine, still not perfect I am no expert, it sounded better. I also swapped my factory Kicker tower speakers for a used pair of Wetsounds Pro60's. Since I have made adjustments based on the threads I posted above I have not had any issues. When you say better sound what are you after. The way that I understand it is the factory Kicker tower speakers are the same as the in boats and will sound good close in. If you are trying to get sound out to the rider it is not going to sound as good. I noticed a big difference from the factory kicker tower speakers and the Pro60's in getting the sound out to the rider, some of that may have been making the adjustments.

Comment

I will take a look at those post and check to see what the current setup is. The speakers inside that boat are kickers also but the sound outside the boat was not as good but at the same time the towers would keep kicking out so not really a fair comparison.

Comment

So I spent sometime this weekend trying my hand at tuning the amps and was able to get the tower speakers to stop cutting out. Turning the gains down did the trick. What I noticed was that there was more sound coming from the left tower speaker (facing the bow from inside the boat)than the right. It almost sounded as if nothing was coming out of the right but when I unplugged the RCA cable for the left speaker I could hear sound coming out of the right just not near as much as the left.

I looked at the settings on the head unit (clarion) and it showed the following:

A-LD = On
              NF Vol = 0
              Cntrst = 5
              Aux = High
              B-Frg = 60
              B-Q = 1.25
              T-Frq = 10k

Not really sure what all that means and if it plays a role. Here are some pictures of the front and side of the two amps.

The 700.5 amp
              DSCN2045.jpg
              DSCN2042.jpg

The 350.4 amp
              DSCN2039.jpg
              DSCN2040.jpg

A shot of the tower speaker
              DSCN2056.jpg

Any help would be appreciated....

Comment

Working...
              X