ENG ECU No Data for over 25 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG ECU No Data for over 25 seconds

Dead '07 22Ve this morning with the above warning on the screen. I think that it means that the front and back computers aren't communicating. New batteries and alternator. Took it to the local Malibu dealer and after some playing around on their part it started 6 times in a row. They really didn't know what they did to fix it. Back on the lake again this afternoon, it started once to drive it to my dock and has been dead again ever since. The starter seems strong as well. Seems to me like a random short somewhere, but i don't have a clue where. I have checked all of the fuses and wires that I can find. Any thoughts or suggestions?? I am a little desperate with 2 families and 10 kids looking to me for a fun weekend.

I have an 07 22Ve that just did the same thing this morning when I got to the boat ramp. I was just walking around the truck to pull the trailer out and I told my wife to go ahead and start the engine and as I got half way up the ramp she yelled back it won't start and won't turn over at all. I went back down to the boat and it when I turned the key I noticed that the signature "Beeeeeep" didn't come on as the key was turned but a few seconds later the display would show up but with all gauges reading 0 including battery. After 30 seconds or so I got the ENG ECU No data for over 25 seconds. I though it was a dead battery but I had just taken it out on the water yesterday and the radio still worked lights still worked. Anyway I start checking fuses and breakers and all was well. So I decided to pull the boat back out of the water and take it home to troubleshoot. As I was pulling out of the marina I decided I was going to check one more thing and that was the main power switch a the left side v drive locker. When I turned it off then on and tried it no joy. I then noticed another fuse box that I had forgotten about. I pull the fuse out and it was very slightly corroded but still looked good. When I went to put the fuse back in the other end of the wire came off in my hand and after feeling around below the switch the butt splice fell into my hand and was almost solid blue dust. I thought well that could be it. So I took the boat home (only 15 min drive) and re-stripped the wires and re-terminated it and viola I get the "beeeep" and the engine now starts. We got back to the water and had a great day only losing about 1.5 hours for travel and troubleshooting/repairing. The first image is of the corroded butt splice next to the new butt splice (transparent red, The second picture is a wide view so you can see more around the area. You can see all the corroded copper dust on the carpet.

So the best I can gather is that wire is the main power supply to the engine senders and without it nothing works. Pretty interesting single point failure. Later this week I am going to solder the two together with then solder sleeve and shrink wrap it no more butt end connectors to corrode out. I obviously need a new switch its all cracked and broken pretty weak plastic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by acropilotbret; 06-27-2011, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, I think we have a trend here. I also have a 07 22ve and last trip i noticed the buzzer quit and the display took several seconds to come on. Im going to check that wire ASAP. Good call, always nice to get somthing fixed before you get stuck.
      "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

Interesting. I didn't figure it out, but my boat mechanic (malibu dealer- don't have a local tige shop) just got lucky when he was trying to track it down. He accidentally hit a wire with his knuckle with the ignition switch turned to on and he heard the beep and the fuel pump fire up. It has started fine ever since. Simply a corroded wire. I'm not even sure which one.

Comment

I got to lake Powell yesterday and had the same problem. What a piece of JUNK. After 4 hours at the mechanic he decided that the ECU is broke. Not even the computer would talk to it. NO parts available either. Can you tell that I am a little frustrated with Tige anything now?
          The laughter of the world is merely loneliness pathetically trying to reassure itself. - Neal A. Maxwell

Comment

Wow! Was this information useful. Went straight to the OEM batteries and sure enough.......I had a blow 30A fuse. I'm gonna take a picture and do the same as Acropilotbret did. This really really saves people money.

Comment

ive got a malibu 247 that is doing the same thing. the boat was running fine then when we went to full throttle it just went dead. the boat then cleared the fault when i got home and started fine. when i was cruising around the lake and decided to try it at full throttle again the fault came up and now the dash just displays eng ecu no data 25sec. it seems strange that the boat ran then stopped a few times and now doesnt want to start. my thoughts are a corroded wire somewhere rather than a blown ECU.

any thoughts would be great people

cheers

Comment

Crimped connections are not your friend. Solder and heat-shrink 'em if you want them to last.

Comment

lol how is this for a fault? after running two new wires to simulate the can bus wiring and with still no result we check all the relays and underneath the dash etc.
                  so we are all sitting back having a beer on the boat and i grab my spanner and hit the ECU with it (because i was pissed off) and all of a sudden the dash lights come up and the feedback starts working!!! so we are ordering a new ECU today. can anyone beat that story???

Comment

Working...
                  X