Interested in comments on my winterization process - 2000, 2300V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in comments on my winterization process - 2000, 2300V

First things first... here are a few pics of a new to me, 2000 2300V we purchased out of Portland, OR this year. 227 hours on the 5.7 Black Scorpion. I have since installed perfect pass and purchased 4 manual ballast bags (1800#) for surfing. Zero issues bringing the boat back to Canada. This summer we managed 50+ hours - not bad for a 3 month season. No regrets about the purchase. It has been a fantastic boat.

The winters here in Alberta can last from October to April so I wanted to protect the engine and cooling system. I winterized last weekend using the following process and would appreciate any feedback.

I added fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and with the boat in the water (still on the trailer) I attached a remote fuel hose at the water separating filter and to a jerry can containing a mixture of 2 gallons of fuel, 2 stroke oil, stabilizer and mercury fuel treatment. I ran the engine at 1500 rpm for 10 minutes - it only used 2 quarts of the mixture. ( I thought it would use more of the mixture, next year I will use less).

As for the antifreeze, I removed the 6 freeze plugs to drain the block and hoses. I was prepared to remove the thermostat assembly and thermostat to pour in the antifreeze when I noticed (what appeared to be) 2 fill plugs on either side of the thermosat. So I removed these plugs (approx 1") and poured in the antifreeze until full (approx 14L). I then loosened each freeze plug to ensure the antifreeze reached all areas (and it did).

For good measure I removed the cooling hoses from the transmission / sea water pump and drained the small amount of remaining water into the bilge, which drained through the hull plug.

Afterwards I changed the oil, filter, lubricated all cables, cleaned the flame arrestor, greased the rudder box, checked the v drive and tranny fluids, checked the prop nut and removed the batteries. I also removed the sunpads to allow air flow while covered for the next 9 months. Then I finished with a good cleaning inside and out

My main questions:
    1. Was 2 quarts enough winterizing brew to run through the engine?
    2. Was I OK to pour antifreeze into the 2 fill plugs rather than remove the thermostat?

Thanks for your advice.
    Scott
    Attached Files
    quintESSENTIAL

we have started to winterize ours and I had some of the same questions. As of now all we have done is drained the block and hoses as well as pulled the drain plugs on the v-drive. We put antifreeze in all of this. So, my question is where is the thermostat assembly and is it not connected to the whole system? Will we also need to drain and add antifreeze separately (new to boats and winterizing)? We also planned on greasing the steering and throttle cables but are unsure where and how to do this as well. We are pretty mechanically inclined but with no experience some guidance is greatly appreciated.
    2002 Tige 2300V Limited

Comment

Sounds pretty thorough. Admittedly, I have never taken my winterization that far. Never had to. Mine has been stored inside since I bought it. I only treat the fuel, change the fluids and drain it. Never had an issue. I do wait until the spring to change the impellar. I do however open it up and drain the water out of it just for good measure. If you're all antifreazed up, obviously that would be unnecessary.

Stay tuned. Somebody has the answers you're lookin for.

Sweet boat man. Excellent first post with some great pics. Congrats and welcome to the site.
      Last edited by NICKYPOO; 10-22-2011, 05:15 AM.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've since learned the 2 fill plugs I referenced on either side of the thermostat are pipe plugs. I'm not sure if all manifolds have these plugs but it sure makes adding antifreeze easy.

low23 - the thermostat is in the assembly where the 4 cooling hoses come together (in a V drive at the stern of the boat). 2 bolts to remove it I believe.
        quintESSENTIAL

Comment

Where do you go surfing?

Comment

Most of our time is spent at Glennifer Lake just West of Innisfail.
            quintESSENTIAL

Comment

If you have the time, I would be interested in hearing about your boat buying process from the states....finding it, inspecting it before you buy, negotiations, payment, shipping, border crossing....etc.

I'm looking at a 2100V in CA, and would like some tips.

Brian

Comment

Scott, it sounds like you have done a thorough and meticulous job winterizing your 2000 2300V. Adding the fuel stabilizer and running the engine with the treated fuel mixture seems well thought out, even if the engine used less of the mixture than expected. Your approach to the antifreeze, by removing the freeze plugs and using the fill plugs near the thermostat, appears effective and efficient. Checking the antifreeze flow by loosening the freeze plugs was a smart move to ensure complete protection. Your additional paper writing services maintenance tasks, such as changing the oil, lubricating cables, and cleaning the flame arrestor, show a comprehensive understanding of boat care. Removing the batteries and sunpads to promote air flow while in storage is also a great touch. Overall, your process seems well-executed. As for your questions, running 2 quarts of the winterizing mixture through the engine should be sufficient if it covered all necessary components. Pouring antifreeze into the fill plugs rather than removing the thermostat is likely fine, as long as you confirmed the antifreeze reached all parts of the engine block. Your winterization strategy looks solid, and your boat should be well-protected through the long Alberta winter.

Comment

Scott, it sounds like you have done a thorough and meticulous job winterizing your 2000 2300V. Adding the fuel stabilizer and running the engine with the treated fuel mixture seems well thought out, even if the engine used less of the mixture than expected. Your approach to the antifreeze, by removing the freeze plugs and using the fill plugs near the thermostat, appears effective and efficient. Checking the antifreeze flow by loosening the freeze plugs was a smart move to ensure complete protection. Your additional paper writing services maintenance tasks, such as changing the oil, lubricating cables, and cleaning the flame arrestor, show a comprehensive understanding of boat care. Removing the batteries and sunpads to promote air flow while in storage is also a great touch. Overall, your process seems well-executed. As for your questions, running 2 quarts of the winterizing mixture through the engine should be sufficient if it covered all necessary components. Pouring antifreeze into the fill plugs rather than removing the thermostat is likely fine, as long as you confirmed the antifreeze reached all parts of the engine block. Your winterization strategy looks solid, and your boat should be well-protected through the long Alberta winter.

Comment

Working...
                  X