VE22 intermittent ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VE22 intermittent ignition

Sometimes the engine will die and the buzzer will constantly sound. Turning off the ignition and starting again will get it out limp mode. Changing the Throttle position sensor seemed to help but then the problem returned. Last night it worked perfectly and now it doesn’t start. There is no spark. When turning the key to run, the buzzer sounds, then stops. Before when it was starting fine, the buzzer sounded continuously till the engine started. Not sure which is normal.
    Any thoughts on which sensor or module could be causing this intermittent gremlin? It runs great when it starts.

1. Ensure you have good voltage from batteries. I had 1 weak battery and it caused a similar issue on my 2006 20V
    2. Go to your positive and negative bus bars and ensure all are tight and snug and you don’t see any corrosion
    3. Check to make sure your kill switch is not old.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! The batteries are on charge now. I will check the other suggestions because I don't have any voltage at my new PPS. This boat has the pink wire mod done btw. I'm sure the kill switch is original. I'll try to bypass it to see if that changes anything.

Comment

So all connectors are tight and corrosion free. I isolated the kill switch out of the system. Batteries are both charged (13.0v) and about 12.5 reads on the gauge. I get next to nothing at the TPS (PPS) between White and Blue, nor anything at Red and Green. as per the write up I found here. Some say check between Black & Blue and White & Black ?? I have MEFI4.

20240708_105231.jpg
        Last edited by Johnny777; 07-08-2024, 06:42 PM.

Comment

OK, so I'm starting to think it could be the Throttle Actuator Control module. When I turn the key to run, I'm not hearing it do anything. Shouldn't it cycle open/closed as a power on test? Can I test this module somehow?

Comment

I have an appointment at a shop to test for codes but I notice the diagnostic trouble codes are very basic and cover many modules. For example, DTC81 is for 26 different items including TPS, TAC, Fuel pressure, and many other likely problem items . This doesn't seem too helpful.. Does a proper scan tool specify which sensor will trip code 81?

Comment

Still have the problem after changing a bad relay. Showed code for TAC so I also changed the throttle body. Worked great for a couple hours but then it came back to limp mode.
              Btw, I'm pretty sure the beep is supposed to stay on until the engine starts. Anytime, it beeps and then stops, there are problems. Right now I can't get the correct voltage at the TPS. I think one of the batteries might be faulty. Going to change that next.

Comment

I took out the batteries and had them tested. They are both good. I cleaned all the connections and reinstalled them. Turn the key and now it beeps continuously until engine start so I think everything seems normal at the moment. There seems to be a big draw somewhere though as the dash volt gauge drops below 11 in just a few minutes.

If anyone is reading this and wants to chime in, feel free!

Comment

I'm talking to myself here but in case anyone else is searching to solve a similar issue here is what I did and there are no more limp mode problems:

1. Changed the throttle body due to a code showing for that.
                  2. Changed a bad relay that wasn't powering the fuel pump.
                  3. Changed and set the TPS.
                  4. Cleaned and tightened all battery connections.
                  5. Tightened alternator belts which were quite loose.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X