V-drive torque handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-drive torque handling

What is the stock V-drive capable of handling in regards to power output? I have the LY6 Iron Block 6L V8. After looking at some stuff online it’s relatively inexpensive to upgrade the power output from 375hp up to 560hp with a cam, heads & intake. Was thinking of doing this after the engine wears out in the future. Curious how the V-drive and transmission would hold up? My gut is telling me that the transmission won’t matter to much as it’s basically just a forward, neutral & reverse setup with out gears so it should be good unless I’m missing something like the stock internals are limited to a certain power or torque range. Also what are others opinion for the V-drive component?

outside of additional fuel consumption anyone have any other negative concerns/opinions for this wild hair brain idea for the future. While I’m all for the stock reliability on modern vehicles I know that I’ll eventually need to do some work to this engine at some point during my ownership period. Might as well upgrade when that time comes. Hopefully will get up to 1,500 hrs out of this stock block. Right now I’m at 445hrs.

Proper service schedule, i seen them hit 4000 hours.

Comment

Oh Lord...do a quick search on exhaust water reversion. Then search camshaft overlap on which ones cause it the most with marine stock exhaust. Then realize an additional $8k will need to be invested into the correct exhaust system from CMI. 560HP, not without reinforcing the engine bed, having the trans built with better clutches etc... but the Walter v-drive can take it though, to answer your original question.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
        Oh Lord...do a quick search on exhaust water reversion. Then search camshaft overlap on which ones cause it the most with marine stock exhaust. Then realize an additional $8k will need to be invested into the correct exhaust system from CMI. 560HP, not without reinforcing the engine bed, having the trans built with better clutches etc... but the Walter v-drive can take it though, to answer your original question.
        thanks for the reply! Exactly what I was looking for in a round-a-bout way. Sounds like an expensive exhaust system that completely negates the “cheap” LY6 performance upgrade/rebuild.

Comment

Working...
        X