No announcement yet.

water over the bow on a 21I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2000 21i and on occasion when slowing down the bow dips and I take a good bit of water in but nothing serious...just enough to cool down the ladies riding up front. When just floating I've never had a problem with water getting in the boat.

Comment

So are you saying that when just slowing down, the front of the boat actually goes under water??? Or it just gets low enough so that some moving, turbulent water creeps in? Geez, I've seen some low boats (lots of locals have Moombas that seem to ride about 6" above the surface!). I though a Tige (even the D-drive) would stay up higher!

Comment

...and one more thing. Is that cutting the throttle sharply, or just slowly throttling back.

How does one prevent this if you really don't want someone riding up there to get wet?

Comment

The front of the boat has never gone under water....but turbulent water has found it's way in. The 03 design change got rid of this problem.

Depends how heavy the ladies are I suppose...

I generally keep away from sharply cutting the throtle and if I only have a few guys in the boat none of what we are talking about is an issue..only when I have 5 or 6 other people in the boat do I need to manage speed to insure I don't get the front end wet.

I would really recommend you test drive a boat...I love my 2000 21i...I would love to be able to afford a new one given the design changes but I love my boat and have never not felt safe and secure with it's design and operation.

Comment

Thanks, Joe!

Comment

Dan,

If you're eating lunch and a roller comes head on, the front seats are gettin wet. I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. We're just talking about a small amount of water.....nothing that's going to send the kids overboard.

Like Joe, I have a 2000 21i and I've always felt safe in it. I love it. No worries at all. I usually boat on Lake Travis in Austin. I've been out in the middle motoring through some huge huge waves and never had a problem. I'm talkin' 3 foot rollers. I remember eyeing them thinkin', damn, those are big waves, but the 21i handle them just fine....made the wife a little nervous though.

We usually encounter the gulp over the front when we're picking up a rider or hangin out. Other than that, you'll love the boat.

Comment

DanB,

The new design of the 21i started in 2002 so you should not have any problems.

Lee

Comment

I have a 2001 21i and have taken on water. Freaked me out the first time, but like several have said, it is not that much. Once you get the feel for how to and how not to and you'll be able to do it when some in the front is giving you crap about something, ussually shuts them up.

Comment

Driving Tricks to help

I have a '98 21i (2100wt) and have learned a few tricks to keep the boat and people dry. It is particularly relevant with multiple people up front (or water ballast).

At anchor or rest, water does not come over the bow unless its massive. Normally, it has to do with a moving boat and moving waves.

To avoid your own rollers when you lose a skier, I found that if I turn to the right 90 degrees, then again 2 more times creating a rough square, I can approach my down skier from the side always in full view. When I get to the first roller, I start backing off (disengaging PerfectPass) and time it so that I'm hitting nose down coasting idle right after the last roller. When timed right, all the wakes miss both the skier and the boat and all the speed is scrubbed before nearing the skier. This also saves a bunch of time, so everyone can get in more rope time. If you've got massive ballast, the slow down and idle approach might be better for you.

The other scenario where most people potentially get drenched is when the boat is off plane but under power or coasting and another boat's rollers are heading towards the bow. When moving forward, you drive the nose straight through them, bringing in a bunch of water (Our record was a couple inches in the entire boat). A show skier friend of mine showed me that by gently hitting reverse as the rollers come by, it keeps the nose from driving through and everyone stays dry.

Unfamiliar drivers usually means a wet boat at some point.

Comment

A couple of suggestions:

1. If you're anchored and you're worried about water over the bow, get a Tanneau cover for the front of the boat, it'll keep the water out.

2. I learned a little trick from the Pros while riding with Erik Ruck and Team Tige when they were in town. Whenever they lose a rider, they throttle back all the way and, once the boat is off plane and the wake is beginning to pass them by, they idle 180 degrees and pick up the rider. This way you never have to cross your own wake.

You'll still need to watch out for other's wakes.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I havent tried it yet but I saw in one video.
                        After the rider fell, the driver pulled back on the throttle at the same time he turned hard to the right. but instead of stopping in neutral he continued into reverse. there was wake behind him to go over. Looked pretty smooth to me. I am going out saturday and will tell you if it works.
                        Everything happens for a reason
                        I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

What about the rope?
                          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I dont know I will tell you tommrow hope it works right. It looks cool.
                            Everything happens for a reason
                            I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

I'm really hot on a 22i that I've come across. I'm doing my research and came across this thread. I'm getting out of a 19' stern drive and looking forward to a DD or VD boat. This thread has me a bit concerned. Should I be concerned about water coming across the bow of an '02 22i (which I understand has the newer, bigger/deeper hull, but not the latest convex2 rear changes)? Thanks!

Comment

It really not that big of an issue with my 21i. As long as your slightly paying attention, you probably won't have it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X