No announcement yet.

Engine for 22i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will try to answer your questions, and if I'm not 100% correct, anyone is welcome to chime in. Basically GM build the engine- block, pistons, heads, valve train, etc. Merc, Indmar, PCM, and Marine Power buys the assembled engine and maritinizes it- or they put on the water pump, alternator, or basically everything that hangs off of the engine. The last that I heard, it comes from GM with even the fuel injection. The computer or brain of the EFI may be done by the engine outfitter, I'm not sure of that. The exhaust manifolds are also my the outfitter.

So if you only care if you are getting a GM engine, then buy anyone's, because right now they all come off the same line. There are no differences to the long block. Merc, Indmar, PCM and MP also buy and couple the transmission and V-drive (if it has one). This also comes from a third party But if there is a problem, you look to Merc or PCM for help- not GM. If you think about it, when was the last time you heard about a problem with the basic engine- internal to the block. Never. The problem is useually the water pump, transmission, electronics, or something that the final engine maritinizer did.

In my opinion, all of the little stuff that gets added to the engine along with how they stand behind their product, makes a big difference.

Indmar must be good too, since there are a lot of happy Malibu and MasterCraft owners. PCM is owned by Pleasurecraft Engines. I assume that Tige still offers them too. Ask your dealer, but they are probably $3-4,000 more.

The story I heard about Marine Power is they are a smaller company in Louisiana that did mostly commercial stuff, and recently got into the competition boat market. When you sell stuff for ocean and commercial use you have to have it right. A hold-over from that market is the dual alternator belts. If one breaks, you still have one. They are the only mfgr. to mount the starter on the top of the bell housing. This way if you get a little water in the bottom of the boat you will not ruin an expensive starter, or get stranded.

Good luck with the decision and purchase. If you have a good dealer, no worry.

Comment

Thanks for all your input, very informative and I really appreciate it, anything else you can recommened or think of to help would be welcomed.....Thank you L

Comment

fire;

Got to go back and change my forum name to something more obscure, guess I'm too trusting.

Paublo is right the block is the same for most of the manfr's and the most common supplier is GM. Notable exceptions are Volvo & Toyota. Merc or PCM etc, then add bolt-ons, (sometimes down to pistons and cranks) to handle the higher output and marine.

Paublo is bang on that it is the service that makes all the difference. More times then not anything that can go wrong, goes wrong in the first 20 hours of op and no worries cause it is obviously warranty.

When it's outside of that it starts getting greyer and greyer no matter what the warranty contract says.

Used to be a dyed in the wool Merc' guy cause I grew up with one. THey seemed like the best of the worst. Now with the state of technology there is no excuse for the kind of bs played with marine engines. They need to get with the times.

When you purchase your comp boat you will be suprised that, unlike the GM in the dirveway, you get one warranty for the boat hull from one separate company and one from the engine manuf'r. The majority of your short term issues will be with the engine.

Research your purchase that way and take your time. Don't expect Tige to be any help with Merc' or PCM etc. (Although to the Tige Marketing folks: if they want a bulletproof market share killer they'll figure out a way to make it an all-in-one deal.

The Vortec 5.7 is used as a base unit by a couple of the big manf'r I beleive. Check them out on their reputation. I'm having a hard time being a Merc' guy anymore.

Comment

Thanks again for the input, you guys have been a great help. I need all the info I can get, paying 40K+ for a boat thats used 4-5 months a year, I want to make sure I know as much as possible and get something thats going to be as problem free as possible, I know the general cliche' for boats is: " The happiest moment of boat ownership is when you buy your boat, and when you sell your boat" Thanks L

Comment

From what I've heard and experienced about Marine Power vs Merc is:

1. The dealers seem to like Marine power customer support better than Mercury.
            Some service managers consider Merc to offer no support (call Dan at Kawasaki of Simi Valley, he'll give you an earfull), some say very little.

2. Longer standard warranty.

3. Strong talk of the warranty eventually being based on engine hours, not time owned. Having said that, I go back to #1. If the boat has low hours, then owners have mentioned that Marine power has given a break to the owner if the warranty has expired, their option, no guarantee on that.

4. The starter is in a better position.

5. The Water pump impeller is easier to replace.

6. More horsepower for the same price as the Merc.

7. Far fewer Merc's as OEM in new boatlines each year at the boatshow.
            I'd venture to guess few Wakeboard boatlines offer Merc anymore for all the above reasons. Stumble around the upcoming boatshow and you'll see.

Some time ago, some Jackass was going around representing himself as a rep of Marine power, even saying he was a relative of the founder. He was taking deposits on their performance motors then vanishing.
            The guy was a fraud and had nothing to do with Marine Power when he took the deposits.
            I don't hold that incident against the company. Lots of flakes in the boating world. Eyes wide open is the rule when ya open the check book. Buy from a reputable dealer like Tige'.
            Last edited by Flying Tiger; 01-08-2005, 04:27 AM.
            www.battlesangel.com

Comment

I currently have three Merc 5.7 engines, all about 5 years old. The one in the ski boat is the same as the 315hp engine offered by Tige, and I have never had a problem with it. The twins in the offshore are mated to I/Os and have been much more problematic requiring replacement of the Electronic Control Module in one and several fuel injectors in the other. Tracking down the fuel injector problems kept me off the water for over 3 months last year. My only conclusion is that while they are great when they are running, perhaps the harsher conditions experienced by the ones in the offshore may be pushing the limits of reliability.

In any case, last year I had the pleasure of meeting Lee of Marine Power who is the supplier of the Vortec engines to Tige. I turns out that the "Jackass" mentioned above was, indeed, related to the founder but because of the deposit fiasco he is no longer with the company. I had originally planned on going with a PCM 6.0 375hp in a 24V, but now favor the Marine Power Vortec 6.0 380hp as in my opinion there is little functional difference and the PCM is several thousand more dollars.

Comment

I do believe that all of those engines are built off of gm blocks. Indmar has a good reputation but so does merc and the gm vortec engine isnt the same one used in cars. Gm has an independent department for it marine engines. I believe that indmar uses diferent headers and they design their own manifolds to deliver more horse power. If im wrong someone correct me please.

Comment

they all use their own exhaust manifolds, fuel / injection systems and map tables. that is why the horse power varies a little between manufactures. the "jackass' "name is Walter. he screwed use out of some parts we donated to "the monster garage" last year. i guess he is hiding from the law back east now
                  Greg Denton
                  former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Working...
                  X