21i Taps 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21i Taps 2

Just purchased a new 04 21i Tige, 1st day out we noticed that the Taps 2 automatically resets to Max Wakeboard everytime the ignition key is turn off! We did not notice this before, in other lake test, etc. Is this normal? Also, it is very noisey!

Taps system

I just bought a new 05 22i and have experienced the same thing. Also, the TAPs system does not generate a big enough wake by itself for Wakesurfing. I need to add some Fat Sacks.

Comment

Mine does it as well- thats normal for 2004-2005. I believe that it has something to do with trailering or resetting the computer... but I'm not sure.
      Freude am Fahren.

Comment

Before this purchase, our expierence was in 2002 and older Tige. Perhaps this is part of the 2003 model change. Certainlly is noisey! This is our 4th direct drive going back to 82. Also, the reverse in our 21i again is extremey noisely campared to our previous direct drives... Are you expierencing the same?

Comment

its actually a change on the '04s- when they changed from the hydraulic to the screw drive version- aka "TAPS2".

As far as my reverse noise whine, its not any louder than my friends' boats, but I do hear it.
          Freude am Fahren.

Comment

I think the Taps2 Plate going back to "7" or all the way up is for safety reasons while on the trailer or pulling onto the trailer. On our '04 22V, I can't really hear it unless I pay attention, but maybe I'm just used to it?
            www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

Taps 2

The reason the Taps go to the top is , it needs to go HOME.
              This might sound funny, but a stepper motor has to have a reference point. ( HOME )
              after hitting that point, then when the shaft moves the computer knows where it is .
              this is why any number on the gage should have the plate in the same spot every time.

The only other way to do this is with I feed back loop ( encoder) this is much more expensive and requires more wiring.

And as to a larger wake SHOULD OF GOT A V DRIVE

hope this helps
              David
              Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

mine is an 03 21i, and it does it as well.

Dom
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

well I forgot, if I leave the taps set up on, it moves it to the where you had it, but if you turn the taps switch off, it does

Dom
                  Originally posted by G-MONEY
                  It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

some 03' tiges had a power switch on the dash. they then realized the plate would eventually get out of calibration with the gauge. dave whitlock nailed it with his explanation. good job.
                    as for the transmission, the zf trans is louder in reverse than the velvet drive. the reason for a noisey reverse is the straight cut planetary gears used to reverse rotation. forward is a set of clutches actuated by hydraulic pressure.
                    Greg Denton
                    former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

Thanks to all!

This site is great and was very helpful in our purchase, etc. of our 21i! We looked at numerious used Tige as well as new ones. That was the basis for the question on Taps 2 and the reverse whine! The data supplied is great. The explaination on the ZF tranmission was right on as we have had 3 direct drive tournament boats dating back to 82, all with Velvet Drives. All of the Tige that we spent time in previous to our purchase were 2000 - 2002 models, I.E. Taps 1. We love our new 21i and contrary to one of the post, we surf the first on the water without additional fat sacks, etc. We look very hard at the V's but in looking at many used boats, the sun desk while very nice, always seem showed a great deal of wear from boards etc. We like the step through on the 22i for that reason. The 21i set up with sky box allows for similar access to the swim platform. Love all of the Tige boats but they are extremly large after driving Tourament direct drives for many years!

Thanks again to all who supplied input!

GE

Comment

Working...
                      X