Sunken i Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunken i Series

I was searching for some information on Antelope Point Marina @ Lake Powell and discovered this arcticle about an unfortunate but educational experience. His boat sank while being towed behaind a house boat. There are even pictures too.

Anyone that plans on towing their boat behind a houseboat should read this arcticle!

I did it last year with my 97 2150 and had no problem. I will be more carefull in the future and take some of the recommendations this individual suggests. Good luck to each of you!

http://www.riverlakes.com/antelope_n...%20July,%20200
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Pretty wild story! I was just there over Labor Day weekend and the last week of July - and can definetely confirm 'the narrows' is no place to be in the middle of the day.
    What did you want to know about Antelope Marina? We used the new valet ramp on Sunday - pretty cool!
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Comment

Pretty cool that it didn't sink...it hurt just seeing it in the condition it was in though.

Comment

i have that boat in my shop as we speak. it has been here since july waiting for the approval for repairs to begin.
        the boat actually came out of this in pretty good shape. the salvage crew did more damage the the actual swamping.
        the pictures make it look alot worse than it is, it's just fresh water.

Comment

We do this all the time...Please Read the recommendations he gives though. They are excellent. That makes my heart sink. I feel for the guy.
          "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

I'm just curious...how much does it cost someone to get the boat back and running again after it getting swapped like this?

Comment

to make it run it would be about $500. to make the boat like it was it would be closer to $16000.

by the way the boat is for sale here at tige watersports as is boat and trailer $6000. call 951/737-9801
              Greg Denton
              former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

Comment

WOW,

that is a terrible thing to happen. I'm not fond of towing my boat anyway, but now I know the correct way to do it if I need to.

Dom
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Wow..........

I'd like to tell that captain he did the best job you could possibly do, he was very concerned and cautious just like a good Houseboat Capitan should be.

I've been houseboating about 25 years; you must give the lake all the respect she wants, whenever and wherever………

A note to all, I believe the Houseboat rules recommend a short (50'?) Towline for private boats.

Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday.

Man that could have been me.

Thanks for the Article.

Rick

PS, I hope everything turns out well for the Tige Boat owner

Comment

After reading a post from bneub, saying he was headed to Lake Powell in a week to "work" on his house boat, I was reminded of this thread. Again.

Just another bump for the season. Happy house boating! Keep the inboard afloat!
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Hope that never happens to any one again.
                      Everything happens for a reason
                      I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

We go out from Bullfrog, so we don't have as much trouble with the narrows. I will be using a longer tow rope than I had planned!

When towing a 20i does anyone have a recommendation about where to set the TAPS? If you set it at the higher numbers, it would keep the bow up a little, but might be a little more drag on the houseboat.

Comment

Doesn't it reset to 8 when you turn off the boat? My 2004 does.

Comment

I don't think adjusting TAPS is going to make any difference. Putting up the drive of an I/O is a good idea. For an inboard though it's about as streamlined as it's going to get. Besides leaving the TAPS at 8 will help it keep the nose up, and water out. The houseboat is about as unhydrodynamic as anything can get, .. well maybe a barge. So adding a tiny bit of drag caused by the different running angles associated to different TAPS settings will be negligible.

Comment

I think even though it would drag on the houseboat more, I would rather have a floating boat.
                              Everything happens for a reason
                              I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X