Engine dies after idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine dies after idle

Ok, I've been out for the entire week, and boat ran fine on friday. Here is a day by day event of problems. I'm so confused.

Friday.

Boat ran great

Sat.

Boat ran fine in the beginning of the day.
    Friend drove it and put some water over the bow, but still ran fine.
    Put 10 gallons of gas in it, and it didn't run well at all.
    Put Heat in it, ran great the rest of the day.

Sunday.
    Filled up with gas again.
    Ran terrible. Anytime after idle the gas was given it wouldn't run.
    Topped off with heat water eliminator
    Ran great.

Monday.
    Ran terrible.
    Put STP treatment in and a water elimnator and 6 gallons of Premium gas and it ran great the rest of the day.

Tuesday.
    Ran terrible after any speed other then idle.
    Put STP treatment in and Heat.
    Still ran terrible.

Wednesday.
    Replaced Fuel water separator
    Ran terrible after any speed other then idle.
    Pulled thermostat, didn't open till 212 degrees.

Thursday
    Replaced fuel filter and thermostat.
    still runs terrible after any speed other then idel.
    The boat when it dies you can smell the fuel smell, so I'm pressuming that it is getting gas.

Can anyone give me any other ideas to check, before I leave it at a dealer for the rest of the summer to get work done? I have the five year extended warrenty, so if I take it to a dealer, it's out for the season.

Thanks everyone.

Dom
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Do you have a problem with bad gas where you go? We have one station that never has "clean" gas always some sort of issue.

I ask, because that seemed like your thought process.

Clogged fuel line maybe?
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
      Do you have a problem with bad gas where you go? We have one station that never has "clean" gas always some sort of issue.

I ask, because that seemed like your thought process.

Clogged fuel line maybe?
      Bad gas was the first thing that came to my mind, too. Enough bad gas and you'll end up fouling the plugs, so I'd check that next, along with finding a different source of gas. If the gas is bad, then you may have also gotten a bunch of debris in the gas tank along with all the other crap.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

did you ever find a solution?

Comment

what engine?

if it's the Vortec with v-drive, check the transmission cooler. It's grey tubular part in-line with the water intake... they like to collect debris and clog up, preventing water flow at rpm's above idol.

Comment

well after I replaced the fuel filter, the fuel water separator and the thermostat it still ran crappy. Let it sit a day, and took her out, she ran great!! Put some more gas in her and she ran great ever since. I guess it was just really really bad gas. She has run like a top ever since, and I have put 20 hours on her. I"ll check the plugs this weekend. Can't hurt.

Thanks everyone!
            Originally posted by G-MONEY
            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by domslude
              well after I replaced the fuel filter, the fuel water separator and the thermostat it still ran crappy. Let it sit a day, and took her out, she ran great!! Put some more gas in her and she ran great ever since. I guess it was just really really bad gas. She has run like a top ever since, and I have put 20 hours on her. I"ll check the plugs this weekend. Can't hurt.

Thanks everyone!
              Glad it worked out.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
              X