2000 21i Tige died and didn't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went surfing today and the old Tige died on me. We had it weighted down pretty good. Took about 20 minutes to fill the sacs. So we sat without running. We started it up and it ran fine for about 5 minutes, I heard the motor "knock", Idled down and died. We couldn't get it to start again.
    It appeared to be a fuel problem. Maybe from weighing it down so heavily on the port side it couldn't pull fuel from the tank or vapor lock from sitting maybe? It started after sitting so it doesn't seem likely it's vapor lock.

Any help would be great. Merc cruiser 350 mag MPI
    '99 Tige 21v MercCruiser 350 MPI

How much fuel was in your tank before you started filling the sacs? If close to 1/2" tank and you weight to port it can cause your pick up tube in the tank to suck air. But I still never cross vapor locking off the list just yet. If a vapor lock issue it will start and run for a few sec-min before it dies.

If you couldnt ever get it to start again, sounds more like a fuel pump/pressure issue or you possibly had trash floating in the tank that got sucked up listing over and clogged the anti-sipon valve/fuel line. So I start by making sure the pump is kicking on when you first turn the key, checking fuel pressure (I cant remember what the pressure on a MPI should be but one of the other guys will chime in and tell us).

Comment

It would turn over after it died even sputter a second then nothing.

Found this thread:
      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-locking-fixed

If changing the fuel filter doesn't work ill have to do this like the link above. I was having issues pulling apart my compartment around the fuel tank so adding that pump might be a little bit difficult. Everything is wedged together.

Edit:

Also I don't think I mentioned that the boat did start back up after about an hour of floating around the lake.

Just realized that's your thread I linked! Thanks for that!
      Last edited by Yokes; 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

did you drain your ballast when it started or was the boat still listed over?

I fiuged it was worth doing a write up on my findings and solution.

Comment

Yeah we drained it and tried for a long time. Then filled a 400 on the other side a d tried that. Then called the tow boat. Waited... Waited.... Waited.... Decided to give it another try with no ballast and the second try it started up.

Comment

We also tried just turning the key to the on position multiple times thinking that it would try to inject fuel. While doing all the previous steps.

Comment

I had to turn the key off and on about 40-50 times cycling the pump for mine to pick back up when it use to do it to me. So took 10-15 min to get it to start back and run again. On a long day wehn we would board float board float and board it use to vapor like twice really p*ssing me off. The injectors wont spray until you hit the required fuel pressure. A carb is lot easier to get going after vapor lock. Just a little fuel into it and the motor will start and idle, just wont rev until the cab fills all the way back up.

Comment

40-50 times!
                I guess probably by the time we actually got it going it might have been around 40-50 times.

If its nice this weekend I might be ripping that back compartment out and looking into what you did. Doesn't look to difficult if I can get everything torn apart.

Now that I think of it this is the second time this year this has happened. Both after sitting of a 20+ minutes then driving a couple minutes and it dies. Won't start for about an hour. Then runs fine again.

So turning the key on and off is that activating the pump since its not injecting fuel or do you need to turn the motor over 50 times to get the fuel to the engine?

Comment

Just cycle the key with about 30sec on the on position, no cranking. It's an easy install depending on which way your locker opens. Mine opens facing the boar so i didnt have to remove the locker door. I had 2 screws and the blower vent duct to remove and the rest just pulls out. Takes longer to run the wire and hook it up vs the pump install itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X