22i 2002 vs. 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22i 2002 vs. 2003

I am looking to purchase a used 22i. I have looked at both a 2002 and 2003. I understand the hull is different and the towers where changed due to issues (not sure if the 22i I am looking at is the 1 having the issues). My question for the forum is "Is there any reason why I should buy one over the other?". Assuming accesories, engine, hours are the same or close enough.

Please help.

I bought my 2002 22i at the end of 2002 and was able to demo and ride behind both the 2003 and the 2002. Other than what you already mentioned (the tower, and small hull changes) both were identical. I went with the 2002 just because I saved a ton over the 2003. In terms of wake size and shape, I couldn't tell the difference. Some might say the 2003 improved the wake shape, but I didn't see it one bit at both boarding and skiing speeds.

If you can get the 2003 for close to the same price as the 2002, then its a no brainer depending on condition and hours, etc.....

Either way, you get a killer boat. I love my 22i, and will look to buy another when my 2002 gets up there in years.

Comment

Thanks Tige. I spoke with Harvey at Tige today and he confirmed the 2002 22i hull is the same as on the 2006 models. Probably why you couldn't tell much difference. The prices are close but far enough to make a difference. Also, I tend to like the color scheme of the 2002 better. My other concern had to do with the Tower. I read on the forum that some '01 and '02's with Metcraft towers had problems with the towers cracking. This '02 has a newer looking Metcraft than the one's shown on the forum, but it is still a concern.

Anyway, I am keeping my mind open and will probably make my decision this weekend. Please pass along any additional info you think of.

Comment

Yes, the 2001 Metcraft towers are different than the 2002 Metcraft towers. I hadn't heard of any problems with the 2002 towers (the more swoop back design versus the more square and straight version). Mine is very solid.

Best of luck! Share pictures when you pick the boat up!

Comment

Working...
        X