1998 2200i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 2200i

I am looking at purchasing a 1998 2200i with 96 hours! The boat is amazingly clean only problem is it has been sitting for around 5 years with a full tank of fuel. I know the original owner and how well he kept the boat. He is willing to let it go for $15,000. I am looking for advise as this would be my first ski boat and what problems can arise from sitting so long.

Thanks

The biggest issue is the spoiled fuel will crystallize in the fuel system and moisture will collect in the tank.
    Flush tank and replace filter(s)
    Rebuild carb or replace injectors and pressure regulator.
    May need to replace electric fuel pump if the engine is EFI. If its carburated with mechanical pump, I would replace it.
    I would consider replacing all the rubber fuel lines. Ethanol was not widely used back then, so all those rubber and plastic fuel components where not made for the higher levels of ethanol we see today. Those hoses will deteriorate from the inside out.

That covers the fuel system. Before attempting to start the engine, I would pull the plugs and coat the cylinder walls with oil and turn over by hand. If all turns freely, then crank over with starter but with fuel and ignition disabled. This gets oil up into all the important parts first. Next, turn the fuel and ignition on and bust some molecules!

My first boat sat out in the weather for about 4 years unused. Fixed it up and used it for about 4 years and sold it for a nice down payment on a 2 year old boat. Only major work it needed was the interior and I had to overhaul the out drive. 2nd boat was 2 years old with 15 hours. It was used one season that sat about 18 months. It needed the Carb rebuilt, which cost me $45 for the kit and half a Saturday. Kept it 4 years and never had an issue.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you, the boat has never sat outside, always stored in a heated garage. Do you think $15k is a fair price for the amount of work needed to be done?

It comes with all covers, gear, anchors, skis, tubes, etc?

Comment

Quick search on boat trader says he is high, IMO. They are from 14,900-16K in running lake ready condition. With a boat that has sat most of its life you just never know what you may have to invest in. Many will say extremely low hours is worse than average or higher hours. That boat is 15 years old and has 2 year of hours on it, meaning it sat a lot. That can be a problem. It would have to be a good deal for me to want to get into it.

Comment

Only reason I am really considering is because it is a family members boat and honestly probably will not find a cleaner one. Besides it sitting, I know how it was used when it was in the water and how well it was taken care of. It is just reassuring knowing the history from day one. The owner would never even let you inside of the boat wet or allowed you to step on the back seat to enter. Thanks for all of the input, they are great boats just need to make my mind up.

Comment

Well just know he's not "letting it go" for 15K. Thats solid money for that boat from what I saw. See if you can get him to do all the work to get it back in lake form for the 15k! That would be fair. Not going to be good at the family reunion if he sells it to you for 15K and you end up dumping a couple 1000 into all the stuff that is wrong. I mean all the clean up stuff is going to be a grand unless you can do the work yourself. A guy over on wake world just paid $650 for fluid changes and a once over after he bought a new rig. Adds up quick. Boats in not running condition are scary to me!

Comment

I'm guessing you haven't water tested it, since it has old gas in it? I wouldn't even give it the time of day (family or not) without a water test. There could be various issues with it. Maybe have the current owner pay to get it to running status so you could at least test it on the water?
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Like everyones said that old gas could cost you even with a clean boat and only 96hrs. Fuel pumps run into the $300-380s alone. If the gas is that old first thing I would do is pull the tank and do a full flush to get all of it out if not you will fight it for a verly long time and never get it to run right. But the pump injectors/carb might end up needing to be replaced. Im dont know your area but $15 is little high in my opinon, especially if it wont run do to old gas. Granted I got a pretty good steal on mine last year but I paid $10 with 212 hrs. It was pretty well lake ready, only thing I had to do was shaft packing (which he already bought) and replace guages since bezels pop of those years. Everything else I have done lately was for my own customization. Mine also came with 2 covers, anchors, and little gear. Only the 1 back seat cushion needs to be recovered since the stiching came loose on the roll tuck, remaining seats were perfect.

Were not trying to talk you out of buying the boat but beware you could be in for a lot of work to get it to run right. A clean hull and interior only goes so far if the thing wont run. If hes willing to get it running properly before you buy it then you might have something there. If not no way Id pay even close to the $15 hes asking

Comment

I did speak with him again and found out the gas was sitting more like 2.5 years not 5. He did use "stabilize" before it was put up, i am going to price out getting fuel pumped out in my area and go from there!

Thanks

Comment

2.5 years is better than 5 but not great. I would still highly suggest to him pulling tank to clean it out and if possible disconnecting the fuel lines to blow them out before trying to start it or even truning to key. Try to get as much of the old gas out as possible.

If you saw the stuff I pulled out of a jet ski gas tank that was about 3-4 years old you would fully understand why I say spend the time to pull the tnak to get it fully cleaned out. Jet ski was a major PIA(had to pull motor) but the tank on these boats is pretty easy to do.
                    Last edited by Ruger761; 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I feel like 15K is a "fair" price, a 22i is a very versital boat, do you plan on water skiing, wakeboarding, or surfing? I feel like the 22i will not excel at any of those, but will do a good job doing all of them. How big is your family, a lot of people that don't ski much usually end up upgrading to a V drive after a few years. A lot of people think buying a boat with very few hours is a good thing, but it isn't always true. 2.5 years is a while to have not been touched, but at least he put stabilizer in it. In those 2.5 years did he ever start it?

Chpthril is pretty spot on with his suggestions. But before I purchase the boat, I would not spend as much time and money as he listed. I'd siphon out all the gas, and fill with fresh gas. Coat cylinders and hand turn over. I'd replace the impeller also as it is probably pretty dry and hard. Get it running in the driveway. Then go out and test it in the water. That will give you a good idea of how you like it, and what else needs work.

Comment

Thanks, I will be mainly using the boat for water skiing and the occasional tube. Family size is only 3 people, he did not start it he put the stabilizer in the tank and a trickle charger on the battery. I found a local shop that would pump out the old fuel and dispose of it for $75. Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

They are a good hull for just about anything. Great for skiing. Tubing we have to hook to the pylon to keep the rope outa the wake. Not the strongest wakeboarding or surfing but still very fun to ride behind. Watch the low bow at slower speeds especially when coming back to pick up rider crossing your wake or large waves. Hold enough speed to keep the bow up before letting off the throttle. You will take water over the bow just a matter of time with the hull style, we all have done it.

Comment

Working...
                          X