Teak swim deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teak swim deck

Anyone having problems with their Teak swim deck? I have a 2005 22i and have had three decks delaminate and seperate on me, the deck is still under warranty, I heard Tige wasn't using teak anymore on the new 06' boats, any truth to that?? thought i might just have them get me a fiberglass deck, now they want to charge me for the fiberglass says its an upgrade and have to pay for it!! even though its still under warranty

I called Abilene Texas, (seems MY service dept. doesnt deal with the manufacture, I guess this is quality customer service that Tige prides themselves on)

I've left numerous messages for this guy in Texas, asked him to run some numbers on the cost of upgrading my deck, I guess that takes a long time to do to (been almost two weeks):: still haven't heard back from him! (quality service, again!

I guess i shouldn't complain, what was I thinking, after these corporationsget your money for a boat, car or whatever, the service seems to always stop, i shouldn't be surprised.

Maybe next time i'll try Mastercraft!!!

We still use teak fiberglass is a upgrade. What is the name of your dealer and what is the name of the guy you talked to in Texas.

Comment

thanks for the info. I have a teak platform also. Will keep a close eye on it. That is rediculous to have to replace so many teak platforms in such a short time.

Comment

Teak oil and cover when not in use and you will not have a problem.

Comment

Teak swim deck

This happened while during the boating season last summer (3 different teak decks), has nothing to do with it being uncovered while stored....

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey
            We still use teak fiberglass is a upgrade. What is the name of your dealer and what is the name of the guy you talked to in Texas.
            The dealer is concord kawasaki/Yamaha, and the service manager is Troy Landry.

The guy in Texas is Andrew.

Comment

Oddly enough, I teak oil the heck out of our platform and it's always "covered" in storage when not in use and we've had two delaminate. The first one was under warranty, the second one I'm just dealing with it. It's not real bad, but it doesn't look so hot.

Oh well...

Mike

Comment

Yeah, I've had three in less than a year, mand taken care of them the same way......will see the cost to up grade to fiberglass

Comment

That's interesting that fiberglass is an "upgrade". I've used both and nothing beats teak in my book. Given the choice, even with more maintenance required and slight delamination, I'll be sticking with teak.

Comment

All of these decks have literaly twisted and seperated and glue has not held the wood together, so the latest fix at my service center was to add some more glue to the gaps in the wood, then clamp with wood clamps and screw in screws from the bottom of the deck, cross your fingers and hope it holds, unless I want to pay for a fiberglass upgrade deck. but its still under warranty!

Comment

firemangr82b1

I have spoken to you and advised that there is an upgrade cost difference, however I can not give you the amount and I have asked Discovery to contact you with those numbers. All sales must go through the dealership, I will call them again today and ensure that they contact you with the price difference. One thing they are going to need is if you are wanting a standard color or are you going to have the fiberglass platform a custom color. Sorry that no one has been in contact with you, however I will call Troy personnally.

Fiberglass is a upgrade option for our boats and is not standard. If you do not want to upgrade then I will replace your platform with a new teak deck. We will honor the warranty on your boat and its your decision. If you would like to speak to me please give me a call 325-676-7777.

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Maybe someone at TIGE needs to look at a different supplier of the teak steps. Has anyone determined the reason for the delaminations?

Comment

Mine still has the original teak platform. I've never had one problem with it. It probably doesn't get oiled as often as it should but when it does, it gets the good stuff, Penifin. It also gets stripped every year and refinished. All the pieces that make it up are screwed together. I believe that is why it is still together.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I saw a 3 step teak care kit at the store. (cleaner, brightener, oil) Is the cleaner the "stripper" you are talking about? I oil mine once or twice every year and it is covered when it's stored but it still looks weathered. I want to make it look new again. Have any of you used this kit? How did it turn out?

Comment

Uhhhh no. Me and Mr. Belt Sander go to town. This process takes a few hours, a box of ten 100 grit belts and a bucket of elbow grease. You will use all 10 if not 20 belts. You do not want to use one belt for too long. It will load up with the teak dust and end up polishing the wood. Polished wood accepts no oil. I just sand the crap out of it with the belt sander and the go back over it with a pad sander with some 120 grip paper on it. I then coat it 3 or 4 times with the Penefin and let it dry for a day or two. Looks brand new after that. The Penefin is pretty tough stuff and you don't want to get it on the boat.

PS- You must love saw dust to do this. 3M particle masks are great.
                              Last edited by NICKYPOO; 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X