No announcement yet.

Teak swim deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, same technique for me. Once I did this the first time though it hasn't been needed since. I teak oil it as soon as it starts drying out. I literally pour it on thick and use paper towels to cover the top and sides very liberally. Let it sit for awhile and then wipe off the excess with more paper towels then let dry for a couple of days. Looks like new. When I got it new it had some kind of sealer on it that was more trouble than it was worth. I sanded it down to the raw wood and teak-oil it regularly and liberally. It's looked brand new ever since. BTW, mines screwed together too, but it still slightly delaminated on the back edge.

Mike

Comment

Mjirving - Are you saying you did the same sanding but used teak oil instead of Penefin?

I've never heard of Penefin. Is that a type of teak oil? How much does it cost and can you get it at any boat place???

Comment

I've used standard teak oil. Never heard of the Penefin stuff. I'll have to check that out too. Would be curious as to comparisons between the two from those who have used both.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jsz
          I saw a 3 step teak care kit at the store. (cleaner, brightener, oil) Is the cleaner the "stripper" you are talking about? I oil mine once or twice every year and it is covered when it's stored but it still looks weathered. I want to make it look new again. Have any of you used this kit? How did it turn out?
          I used to do what NICKYPOO did. This year, I used the 3 step care kit and a wire brush (just to try something different). I was surprised because it came out looking pretty good (almost like new). It doesn't get any of the deep scars out of the wood (from careless boarders), but it does a really nice job and it only took about 2 hours (with lots of dry time in between steps).

BTW, my platform's older than NICKYPOO and my boat sees a lot of use.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by tweirich
            BTW, my platform's older than NICKYPOO and my boat sees a lot of use.
            Damn, I'm not even 8 years old yet? I guess I'm just big boned.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO
              Damn, I'm not even 8 years old yet? I guess I'm just big boned.
              Good one!
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

firemgr82b1
                It's been a few days. What is the status of your issue with the teak platform? Let us know! What is TIGE doing about it?

Comment

firemgr81b
                  Looked at mine today. Its starting to come unglued. Small gap developed between the top half and bottom half right in the middle in the back. Also noticed that there is now a gap between the boards. You can see right through it. There was no gap before. Teak is oiled before and after every trip and is covered. Is anyone else having this problem? Its not even a year old!!!! Is this a late model problem? Did TIGE Changed suppliers? Has anyone else looked at their teak platforms? Will keep a close look at this before the warranty is up

Comment

swim deck

gman,
                    I would definately keep an eye on your deck, sounds like its doing what the three of mine did, (seperating, wood twisting, and gaps opening up around edges, glues failing etc.)

Andrew from Tige did call me and say they would replace my current Teak deck because its was under warranty, but, the next Teak deck wouldn't be under warranty. He also said if I wanted to upgrade to fiberglass there would be an additional charge to do that, and that charge varies from dealership to dealership, so im just waiting for my dealership to get back to me with that price.....will keep you posted when I find out, but definately watch your wood! haha Talk to you soon

Comment

How many decks is that now for you? Four?? I would think that with so many failures of the teak deck they would replace your teak with fiberglass at no charge even if its an upgrade. Were you able to get any satisfactory answers as to why you are having so many problems but more importantly what is causing the seperations?
                      Why would the next one not be under warranty? Is it up?

Comment

Swim Deck

gman,
                        This will be my fourth deck since I bought the boat last March! I thought they might replace the deck with a fiberglass one also, and wave the upgrade fee, but nothing nowadays is free.

(I just hope if I decide to go with Teak again it doesn't do the same as the last 3 did, Im sure it probably will though, I was hoping Tige would question the Teak makers as to why were all having problems with delamination, and maybe find a new manufacture of decks)haven't heard anything as to why there falling apart.

Andrew did say he would replace the Teak for free because it was under warranty when I took the boat in for winterizing and warranty work last Oct. But because the warranty expired on the deck in March 06, the new one wont be warranted. Thats why Im waiting to find out the price of the fiberglass and decide which one to get, will keep you posted....L

Comment

Re: swim deck

Originally posted by firemangr82b1
                          gman Andrew from Tige did call me and say they would replace my current Teak deck because its was under warranty, but the next Teak deck wouldn't be under warranty. He also said if I wanted to upgrade to fiberglass there would be an additional charge to do that, and that charge varies from dealership to dealership, so im just waiting for my dealership to get back to me with that price.....
                          I have 2 questions
                          1. How can a new teak swim step that was warranted out not come with a new warranty? It’s a brand new step and should come with the same warranty.

2. How does the price change from dealership to dealership the step cost the same to make no matter where you buy it. Does this mean that dealerships make up their own price for the tige products???
                          I was told it was only a $240 up grade if you are told different let me know.
                          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

gman,

#1- I dont know why it wouldnt come with a new warranty???? (New deck, New warranty. you would think??) I was told because the warranty has expired now, but the problem happened while it was still under warranty, so a new Teak could be replaced if I wanted, however, because the warranty of 1 year has expired, this one wouldnt be warranted. I'll have to get some better clarity on why it wouldnt come with a new warranty (Good question)

#2 Yes, dealerships have there own pricing on Tige products including their boats.
                            I was told from Tige that it is an $180 upgrade plus the cost of any special color of my boat that I might have.

Comment

I think you were trying to respond to G-MONEY not gman. He had the two questions, not I.

Comment

TIGE has special colors? Are not all the colors that they have standard offerings? Only combinations change?

Comment

Working...
                                X