Engine Choices for 21i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Choices for 21i

Hi fellow Tige owners! I am in the process of purchasing a 21i and there are two boats with two engine configuations. Both are 340 HP 1) with a 5.7 L GM Vortec engine and 2) the other with a 6.2 L Mercury Scorpion. What I want to know is is there much difference in Fuel economy between these two engines ? Reliability? and smoothness of having the 6.2 L over the 5.7 etc....?

Any info you can provide for me to make the best choice would be helpful.
    Thnaks much!
    Staminator

IMO the 5.7 will burn less fuel and i believe it has a better warranty?? Personally all things being equal i prefer the MP but either way you cant fo too wrong...

Comment

Fuel consumption stats of two options

Thanks for your reply...

Here is what I found on fuel consumption comparisons by calling Mercury customer service:

4500 RPM 19.2 Gallons per hour (6.2 L MX Black scorpion)
      4500 RPM 17.3 Gallons per hour (5.7 Vortec GM)

3500 RPM 11.2 Gallons per hour (6.2 L MX Black scorpion)
      3500 RPM 10.6 Gallons per hour (5.7 Vortec GM)

2500 RPM 6.2 Gallons per hour (6.2 L MX Black scorpion)
      2500 RPM 5.5 Gallons per hour (5.7 Vortec GM)

* 3500 RPM is the ski speed at 30-34 MPH, I think?

The warranty is also better on the Scorpion (3 extra years)

When you said you were to prefer the MP all things being equal, you were referring to the Vortec or the Scorpion? Would love to hear from someone who has a 21i with the Scorpoin.

Mike

Comment

one of the things that you may want to consider is how difficult is it to work on the engine. Things like Position of oil filter, gas/water separator filter, instruction manuals, availability of parts, etc. Ask and Look at everything you possibly can and then decide.

Comment

the MP vortec should have a 3 year warranty.

Comment

on the MP web site it says 2 years warranty for the sportpak which I assume is what TIGE is installing.

Comment

MP vortec has a standard 3 year warranty in Tige boats only. Merc. has a one year warranty you will have to buy the extra 3 years.

Comment

I just bought a 06 21i with the vortec and the gas milage has been pretty good. The centuarian had a scorpian but the warranty was'nt as good. Plus we liked the room & features of the Tige better.
                RichDawg

Comment

Working...
                X