2004 21i steering issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 21i steering issues

The steering on my 2004 21i was smooth and is now stiff. After reading some posts here it sounds like I need a new steering cable. Is it possible to lubricate the steering cable? Any information would be very helpful. Cable size, where to order or purchase cable, how to install.

Once they get tight, it's over. Time for a new one. On your boat, it's a pretty easy fix.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
      Once they get tight, it's over. Time for a new one. .
      This is not completely true
      The first time my cable got stiff, I changed it. The second cable only lasted two years and it too got stiff.
      I noticed it the same day we were getting ready for a long weekend I was not able to get a new cable before the trip. I ended up drilling a small hole in the cable about 12 “from the steering wheel. I then used a siring and got 4 oz of WD40 to go inside the cable (I added the WD40 while I had somebody twisting the rudder from side to side so it could works in way into the cable) within an hour the cable moved like new. That was around July 2010 and I still have not had to replace the cable as it is still working great. I now add about 2 oz to the cable every time I do my winterizing.
      Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

2004 tige 21i steering

Thank you for the info, I am going to replace the cable. Is the cable # SSC154xx? The xx equals the size? What is the best size for this boat? Any helpful hints regarding size, removal and installtion from anyone who has changed this steering cable would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Please Help 2004 21i tight steering

I have already removed the cable. As best as I can read the numbers on the old cable look like SC13417 but it is very hard to read because most of it has rubbed off. Any and all help please. I'm not sure about the size cable. Please help!

Comment

2004 21i tight steering

The best way to get the cable new cable in for this boat is to start by feeding the shaft part of the cable through the existing hole but push it towards the front of the boat and then use the string or rope that was used to pull the old cable out to pull it back to the back of the boat. I kept feeding the cable in until it only took a little bit of tugging on the rope to pull it back to the back of the boat. I also used a hose clamp to secure boot to shaft sleeve.

Comment

cable ?s

i hav the same boat i used teh ssc15418 and turns like a dream where it was a two hand operation last summer!

Comment

Working...
              X