Stearing cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stearing cable

Is there any way to lub the stearing cable, mine is getting stiff.

If its already stiff its time to replace it, To keep it from getting stiff see this thread:http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...&threadid=1427
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

What year model is your boat? Don't fall for the B.S. about how steering cables on tournament boats wear out quickly.
      If your boat is less than 5 years old it should not need to be replaced. I don't care if you never greased it.

Check to see if the seal where the cable connects to the push rod has come off. When not installed properly water enters the cable tube and rust builds until failure. Good luck. Update on dealer/factory response when you can.

Comment

Dont forget to lube the rudder as well. It has a grease zirt in the top of it . (inside the boat)
        "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my 2003 22IR.

I seems that my trouble might be in the steering box under the dash.
          When trying to turn one way or the other, at first there's some play or slack then it's like it's stuck and then brakes loose and it's just a little stiff. I lubed the rudder but that didn't help.

Anyone know how long the warrant last on something like that.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had it replaced just before I left for a 6 month tour in the Iraq, look forward to this summer at the lake.

Comment

my 2003 21IR didn't last a year.

I had it warrenty replaced on the 7th month.

Just FYI
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

lube

Mine is stiff when reversing on my 04 22ir. Should I lube it? How long does Tige warranty things like engines and running gear?
                Last edited by topo66; 05-21-2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

My 22i steering requires 2 hands to turn and needs replaced. For perspective, what an I expect to pay for replacement and install? Also, is this a very involved operation or fairly straightforward.

Weather has finally broke and I am getting antsy. Like to just understand it this is a several day job or couple hours.

Comment

steering

Vintony, what year is your boat and how many hours?

Comment

Topo:

It is a 2002 with 145 hours.

Comment

On a 22i maybe 1.5 hours to swap it out.

Comment

Thanks Lee. Is this a common problem? How can I avoid or extend the chance of happening again?

It was a real bummer as I was putting it in the water for the very first time and realized I had no steering.

Comment

Depends on the amount of water thats stays in the hull. Water in the back of the boat tends to seep in to the cable over a period of time and causes the cable to start to freeze up and bind.

Comment

Can I throw one of those bilge sponges (not sure what they are called but they are an absorbant white cotton looking thing is a net. I am told you throw them in to absorb linger water, gass and water in the engine compartment. I could throw one in the back compartment as well to absorb any left over water.

Would this be recommended?

Comment

Working...
                              X