fuel gauge and temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel gauge and temp

Just got the boat out today. Took out the steering cable that went good, but the temp gauge and the fuel gauge are not working. Last year they worked fine. Does anyone know of a common problem that could have accord. Any help would be great. Thanks

On my 99 21v I had the wires pull off the back of the gauges once, I would start by making sure all the wires are pushed onto the backs of the gauges. good luck

Comment

Check your sending unit. My fuel gauge did the same thing.

Comment

Is the sending unit easy to check

Comment

Find the sending unit on top of the fuel tank and make sure the connections are tight. Also check your ground block under the helm for loose connections.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

My float soaked up gasoline and got too heavy to float. Real easy to change.

Comment

Perfect. Easy fixes are happy fixes.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                Find the sending unit on top of the fuel tank and make sure the connections are tight. Also check your ground block under the helm for loose connections.
                What would make a fuel gauge read wrong? My fuel gauge was at 3/8 and ended up being empty. I was getting ready to put the boat on the trailer and it wouldn't start. I thought it was vapor locked because of the heat, but after about 5 minutes of trying different stuff we decided to added some fuel and fired right up.
                What do I need to look at? Fuel gauge never was realiable. Stays full all the time then drops like a rock. Anytime the gauge moves off full I usually add gas, but this time I didn't.
                Dale
                2000 21i Tige

Comment

My fuel guage does the same thing. I have an 02 21i and when I fill the tank the guage reads full as normal. After running around for a while the needle starts jumping all over the place. Sometimes stays up near full then bounces radically. Head scratcher....any suggestions?
                  Experience - Something you get right after you needed it.

Comment

The sending unit connections get corroded easily because of tank location, and the sending units are a pretty crappy design. Replace the sending unit. It is an arm with a float inside the tank. It is installed directly on the top of the tank. You will have to pull the back seats to get to it. It's a relatively cheap part. You might also want to install new spade connectors on the wiring ends.
                    So this monkey walks into a bar...

Comment

Does anyone have any ideas for the temp gauge

Comment

how do you get the fuel tank (floor cover) off so you can get to the sending unit on a 2005 21i riders??HELP my fuel guage jumps oll over the place (like a loose screen or bad sending unit)
                        Thanks Rob

Comment

I tested the sending unit and gauge by downloading instructions from the gauge manufacturer. Gauge was no good. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they serviced it to like new condition for $15. I also send another gauge in because the plastic chrome needle cover in the centre fell off . . . $15 as well. All is good now.

Comment

Working...
                          X