Looking at 1999 2000i and would like input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at 1999 2000i and would like input

I'm looking at a 1999 2100i with 30 hours. The asking price is 24,500. Assuming this is a brand new boat as the owner states, would this be a good deal? What do these models (2005) retail for new?

I would also like input on the following:

I own a jeep 6 cylinder wrangler (sahara) with total trailer weight rating of 2000lbs. Would towing it home for 4 hours (~230 mi) be a problem?

Also, there is a strong chance that I would not be able to get the owner to take it out (coordinating that may be difficult due to distance). If that is the case, what would be the key things to look for when considering?

Thanks,
    Chris

2100i

Sorry, this is a 2100i Tige. Need to get that straight.

Comment

A new 22i retails for about 50k pretty loaded, dunno about the trailer part
      Dukes Creek Marina, Your #1 Tige Service dealer on Lake Anna

Comment

If the boat is pristine condition it might be worth close to what he is asking. A boat that old in good condition is probably only worth $20K. That is not very many hours for a 1999. Definitely take a test ride and see how well the boat runs and performs. Check for water leaks around the engine and exhaust system. Check the engine oil dipstick for the presence of water in the engine. Check the trans fluid for level and make sure it is a red color and not starting to turn brown or smell like it is burnt. The shaft seal on the drive shaft should have a steady drip. Check the prop for damage. If possible, take it to a mechanic and let him look it over.
        The jeep will probably be too light to haul the boat. The boat and trailer are probably going to weigh at least 5000+ lbs.

Comment

I don't know much about the boat, but I agree with ghollow on towing.

Don't tow that boat with your Jeep. Your vehicle will get tossed around like a rag doll by that boat. At best - not much will happen to your car (right away), though transmission failure is certain to follow in time. At worst, you could get in an accident because the boat is way too heavy for your car. Don't do it. Rent a different truck. There are some big U-Haul trucks you can rent that will properly tow that boat.

Comment

So far, good replies. Thanks for helping keep from making an idiot of myself. Right now, I am looking at options for getting it in town.

If it's the deal it appears to be, I'm sure I can find buddies locally that will tow me until I buy a second vehicle for the purpose.

Thanks!

Comment

I paid fairly close to that amount when I bought my 2100i Tige in 99. I also upgraded the engine to 350 mag mpi. If you want to know any details about the 2100i email me.

Comment

Test drive

I think I would want to drive something I was putting that much cash into. Take the extra time to check it out right, suprises later could be very frustrating. I bought new and still had surprises, at least I have a warranty although service has been an issue. You will have nothing once you lay down the cash and drive away. How much did a day off cost if you find a problem later, plus take your buddies and some time on the water really checking it out.
                My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Just 30 hours in 6 years means the boat has been sitting doing nothing for a long time. You will probably be looking at a good chuck of $ to replace all the elements that are dependent on water circulation to stay lubricated.

Boats are not exactly like cars in that low hours means good...just check it out man especially if this guy wants near full price.

I have a 2000 21i and I just hit 400 hours the other day...if my summer goes as planned I'll hit 500 by November 1st.

Comment

How long did it take you to hit 400 hours??

Comment

Now officially part of the forum

I bought the boat. 30 hours on a 1999! Of course, the throttle had problems since it had been sitting. A little wd-40 and we were off. What a great ride.

Thanks for all the input. I still have the tow vehicle problem, but I'm working on that.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                      X