Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can TAPS RAISE a bow, or just SINK it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can TAPS RAISE a bow, or just SINK it???

Been reading some conflicting acct's re: TAPS, so I figured I'd go to the source... OWNERS! I thought that with the plate up (meaning it's out of the water flow) the boat rides normally (more wake?). With the plate down, the water hits it driving the back of the boat up (less wake?, and the bow down (due to the rocker design of the hull)? So I thought you could ride the boat as is, or put the bow down. I've read several posts elsewhere however, that seem to contradict this. They say the boat is great in chop, and you could use TAPS to RAISE the bow. How so?

DanB:

You're correct. The newer Tige's normally ride with the transom low in the water due to the Convex V-hull. Taps allows the driver to raise the transom out of the water and allow the bow to cut better through the water for a smother ride, rather than "porpoising" through the chop.

Another reason that a Tige's ride is better than other ski and wakeboard boats is that their hulls have a deeper V.

It's all in the design

Comment

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I have a 2000 21i which rides better in rough water with the taps set to wakeboard level, which means the plate is out of the water. The bow is high and the transom low. The idea is that there's more hull to cut through the waves. The owners manual says to set TAPS to 6 or 7 (wakeboard level) in rough water.

Comment

I have a 22i and it goes through chop great, I have also driven a 21i and it went through chop great aswell.
        I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

Remember that the Convex V-Hull was first introduced on some models in 2002 and the rest in 2003 (As I'm informed - Anyone with better info please correct me). That changes much of how a boat rides in rough water and what the driver must do to get the best ride out of the boat.

Comment

Working...
          X