Leave batteries during winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave batteries during winter?

What do you guys do in freezing climates with your batteries in the winter? In all my bow riders the single battery was easily accessible and always removed. The battery in my 2017 Z1 is not easily accessible, behind boards that are all screwed together. Looking online a lot people say just leave it. Obviously needing to replace 2 marine batteries because they won’t hold a charge after winter would cost a pretty penny. Is it worth the hassle removing them or will it be okay?

I always remove and get them on a tender in a climate controlled area. Getting a few years extra out of each battery is a no-brainer for me with the 15/20-min it takes after she's all winterized and put away. 2 cents.

Comment

Of course will be better to remove. Not the end of the world if you cant but I would recommend pulling the ground cables off. zip tie the connections together so you remember which go to together.

Comment

Originally posted by Aschool View Post
        I always remove and get them on a tender in a climate controlled area. Getting a few years extra out of each battery is a no-brainer for me with the 15/20-min it takes after she's all winterized and put away. 2 cents.
        damn I took it apart this summer looking for ground issues and it took way longer. Maybe it’s more efficient in your 2019. I had 4 boards all held together like a jigsaw puzzle with a dozen screws

Comment

If your boat will be stored outside, just jack the tongue up and make sure the bilge plug is out. No need to disconnect grounds when the master battery switch is set to OFF.

If you are going to spend a dime on a "tender" spend a little more and get a proper marine on-board multi-stage smart charger. Leave the batteries on the boat and plug the the charger and forget it.

If your winters are mild, id just give the batteries a good charge before putting the boat away for the season.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Dman223 View Post

damn I took it apart this summer looking for ground issues and it took way longer. Maybe it’s more efficient in your 2019. I had 4 boards all held together like a jigsaw puzzle with a dozen screws
            It's not terrible, worst part is climbing in through the bow into the port storage area and grabbing them out (not for anyone of substantial size haha). I already had a pair of CTEK tenders, so I go that route...but chpthril's advice of getting an onboard tender has crossed my mind more than a few times!

Chpthril, do you have a brand you recommend or have used with success in the past?

Comment

Thanks guys. On another note, if my raptor 400 comes with the manifold hoses connected to a blue drain plug is that the only thing needed to drain for the manifolds or do they have a plug on each manifold as well? Seeing conflicting info and the Tige manual doesn’t have winterization steps it simply says your dealer can do it lol.

Comment

Working...
              X