No announcement yet.

Moomba flow type design- Who's with me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, I was really hoping to see an update on the plate from this weekend. Guess the weather has remained crappy :-(.
    We have had calm and hot and sadly I was at a conference all weekend so I wasn't able to enjoy the water either. Looking forward to the first test report.

Comment

It looks like I will try to do a shake-down run early Wed. morning. Again, my apologies but this will be a quick run without optimal weighting in about 8 feet of brownish-green water. I will take some pics but please don't prepare to judge performance on this. We roll to Powell at O-dark-thirty Thursday morning! Can't wait! It is currently my favorite place on earth. Since this is the annual Father's and son's trip (Father's day gift from my awesome wife) we will go deep into the lake so we can get to the Dangling Rope filling station quickly. If anyone is out there, don't hesitate to give the guys in the orange 24V a wave. And please stop to help if we are sitting somewhere with the hatches open! Last year we got towed 21 miles back after an alternator failure.

Any weighting suggestions? Anyone? Otherwise, I'm assuming that more is better and we will be trying that basic theory out.

Comment

Originally posted by dreddy View Post
        It looks like I will try to do a shake-down run early Wed. morning. Again, my apologies but this will be a quick run without optimal weighting in about 8 feet of brownish-green water. I will take some pics but please don't prepare to judge performance on this. We roll to Powell at O-dark-thirty Thursday morning! Can't wait! It is currently my favorite place on earth. Since this is the annual Father's and son's trip (Father's day gift from my awesome wife) we will go deep into the lake so we can get to the Dangling Rope filling station quickly. If anyone is out there, don't hesitate to give the guys in the orange 24V a wave. And please stop to help if we are sitting somewhere with the hatches open! Last year we got towed 21 miles back after an alternator failure.

Any weighting suggestions? Anyone? Otherwise, I'm assuming that more is better and we will be trying that basic theory out.
        I would say without the flow, I would fill up surfside full,11-11.5 mph, TAPS at 3-4, fill up the opposite of surfside until your platform hits the water, you can tell because the wave will get messed up and turn into a white frothy mess. Then drain until the platform clears the water on the opposite surfside. Once clear it should clean up. The rougher the water the more clearance you need. Trimming my platform is what let me weigh it down a little more and differently but won't work with the full size platform. That being said, the listed wave when the platform skims a couple inches above the surface on the opposite side should be money!

With the flow enabled? I would start with surfside full, opposite side full then drain until it looks good and hop out there and surf. The gated waves I have been on, I prefer it to be listed over still so that it has a little steepness to the face. If you want the face less steep, then list less.

Duffy knows this boat (and many others). He gave me the recipe that I run on my boat now and hopefully he will chime in and get you a good recipe.

Thanks,
        Steve
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

No clue what to run with the flow! I know you still want some list. I think i would do everything full and see what it looks like, then try pulling some opposite weight out.
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Yep I know there is no precedent. I'm just hoping that I have enough to do it justice.

Comment

How much do you have?
              Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

I only have an enzo sac right now but was going to pick up an 1100 to (almost) balance the back and something for the front depending on what they have in stock locally.

I got the boat on the water tonight. Only 6' of water that looked like this:
                IMG_4159.JPG
                which meant this:
                IMG_4157.JPG
                however, we did get the annual shake-down run and here is 11mph with NO additional weight and the plate in the furthest down position:
                IMG_4171.JPG
                Very nice asymmetry and a nice clean face on the small wave. If this scales, with the addition of ballast, I think we may be on to something good.

Comment

Thats with zero ballast?

Comment

Yes. Zero ballast and 5 adults on board. It was better than I expected honestly. My thumb was over the comparison shot at 11mph with the tab up which pissed me off because the difference between them was pretty stark. We adjusted people in the boat with the tab up to get the wake as even as possible and then didn't move anyone around, I simply stopped to put the tab down (10 sec. process), started back up and this is what I got. It is only about a foot high at the highest point but...

I'm looking forward to the ballasted testing this weekend.

Comment

Cool, looking forward to the ballasted photos. Have a good trip.

Comment

So...

It works. I can tell that I don't have the best setup right now to do it justice, but it simply works. I have the standard swim deck which is interfering on both sides and that appears to be part of the problem that some of you have corrected already. It was nice to be able to surf without tilt first of all which is simply better and more comfortable for everyone else on the boat. That may be one of the best features of these systems. It is also much easier to turn around to pick someone up and to worry less about the roller over the bow etc. There was no perceptible difference in how it drove while underway, no pressure to countersteer against etc. So here are some pics:

I put about 1000 lbs. in each rear locker.

IMG_4210.jpg

I have an Enzo sac partially filled in the left side and a 1100lb filled about to capacity in the right side. I had my entire crew of about 700 lbs in the bow for these pictures. The boat was visually level with respect to water line standing on the deck where the water was about 5-6" deep at the transom.

Here is the wave with the boat underway at 11mph with the tab up for reference

IMG_4213.jpg

Here it is with the tab all of the way down at 11mph

IMG_4216.jpg

It didn't seem to make any visible difference if the tab was in any of the 3 positions that I provided for it but I may not have been able to see it due to the interference from the deck.

Here is a dude on the wave. He is about 6' tall and 180lb.

IMG_4225.jpg

Here is proof that it is wireless surfable

IMG_4238.jpg

The wave size was similar to what I get when fully tilted over with the Enzo sac alone but more turbulent because the deck is more in the water. Wave length, push etc. are similar as far as I can tell and 100% level in the boat!

That's what I've got so far. I owe a few of you some PM's which I'll get to ASAP as I've got work to catch up on this afternoon. I think some of you more hard-core surfers could do some really great stuff with this setup. Just needs some more time, experimentation and wave clean-up.

I actually didn't get to go to Powell due to family illnesses so these were taken at Yuba lake in central UT and we only had about a 1/2 day to mess around with it. The other issue was again, that the whole lake was pure glass the whole time we were there and I have a few hardcore wakeboarders. Unprecedented day in this country where smooth water is a premium. Water was 65 degrees however which made each set a chilling experience.

Comment

Try running a little bit of list next time. I think it would clean up the wave more, but I think it's a solid first attempt at weighting it.

Comment

Excellent work. It is very impressive how much of a change it makes. I agree with duffy to list it slightly. On our boat with NSS, we run with the surfside about 200-300 lbs heavier (either people or ballast). Just that slight difference is noticeable in the wave, but not in the attitude of the boat.
                            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Sweet! Good work! [emoji3][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                                Try running a little bit of list next time. I think it would clean up the wave more, but I think it's a solid first attempt at weighting it.
                                This! Also make sure you have plenty of bow weight, it should add length and push.

2012 Mojo

Comment

Working...
                                X