Replacement ballast pump switches and other stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement ballast pump switches and other stories

Bought my 24Ve from the dealer used, but I'm pretty sure the ballast system was installed before they got it. I'm hesitant to take it in for electrical stuff because they messed up almost EVERYTHING when I brought it in before. Anyway, two rear ballast pumps, both new pumps, but only one is working and I think it's the switch. The switch lights up, indicating it's getting power, and the pump works when I connect power directly to it, but nothing is getting from the switch to the pump. For a while, toggling the switch a few times would get it to work, which is why I think the switch is the problem. So here's the issue:
    My switches look like standard ballast switches (like the ones WakeMakers sell), but they have 9 pins, not 7. All of them have wires attached so I assume they all do something. I can't for the life of me find the same switches online. Anybody have any ideas? I've seen a wiring diagram for a 10-pin, but that's not what I have. From the back there are 4 terminals on the left and 5 on the right.
    (Also, there are two relay switches in the wiring, and I replaced those just in case they were bad because one of them looked corroded). I'm a little stumped.

And going back to my bad experience with electrical, I brought it to the dealer once and got it back with SEVEN NEW electrical problems. No idea that's going on with the wiring, but I know it's got issues. For example, today, the one ballast pump that works wouldn't shut off when I pulled the boat out of the water. (Possible that the switch there needs to be replaced as well). What really concerned me though is that because the pump wouldn't turn off and was running dry, I just turned off the master power switch. AND THE PUMP KEPT RUNNING. I'm quite certain that's not supposed to happen! Later, it seemed to be working normally again (as in, only when the power switch was in the on position, but WTH was going on?)

Do you know if the pumps are reversible impeller pumps or live well aerator pumps? The 7-pin (which I supply with my ballast kits)
    switch will work with both types. The difference is that in order have the switch illuminate when the NAV lights turn on, you need the 8-pin.

The presence of relays seems to indicate the pumps are the reversible impeller pumps. These relays are NOT needed unless these are high-draw high-output pumps. A standard Carling rocker will carry the load of the standard pump.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

They are Johnson Talulah reversible pumps. The tricky part is going to be figuring out which wires are which if I change to a different switch. The wiring is very difficult to access, and I'm no electrician, so being able to just swap them directly would be a huge plus. Do they not make these 9-pin switches any more? I can't find a single one online.

(I also have a middle rocker that powers two separate Tsunami T-1200 pumps that cycle water from one sac to the other. Those get power and the impellers spin fine, but they don't actually move any water so I'm wondering if they're just worn out and not sealing correctly).

Comment

How can the pump keep running without electricity? Does it have batteries in it?
        Source: Homeschooling Guide

Comment

Working...
        X