Adding pop-up cleats to RZ2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding pop-up cleats to RZ2

The RZ2 factory cleat positioning in the front is worthless. The are so far forward that the middle of the boat will hit a dock or another boat long before any fender attached to the front will. The fix, is to add a third set of cleats near the middle of the boat. My question is: has anyone done this yet, and what placement did you decide on? Would you change the location if you had to do it again? A am thinking somewhere near where the front windshield glass meets the side glass.

Originally posted by 2010rz2 View Post
    The RZ2 factory cleat positioning in the front is worthless. The are so far forward that the middle of the boat will hit a dock or another boat long before any fender attached to the front will. The fix, is to add a third set of cleats near the middle of the boat. My question is: has anyone done this yet, and what placement did you decide on? Would you change the location if you had to do it again? A am thinking somewhere near where the front windshield glass meets the side glass.
    I put fromnt cleats on our 09 RZ2 and love them. I put them just rear of where the side slopes in (making sure I could easily reach them over the windshield from inside the cabin.

To increase the usefulness of the front cleats, try using those big round ball fenders
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10433
    I bought a ball fender wide enough to bridge the gap between the bow gunwhale and the dock and it works like a charm. But I still use a midship tubular fender.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      I put fromnt cleats on our 09 RZ2 and love them. I put them just rear of where the side slopes in (making sure I could easily reach them over the windshield from inside the cabin.
      Does this look like your approximate positioning? Thank you!
      Attached Files

Comment

My 08 22Ve has the forward cleat just forward of the windshield. I would prefer if it were further aft. I have to get in the bow and reach around the forward tower post to attach a fender and line. I agree that a more forward cleat is useless for fenders, but may be a better location for dock lines.

Comment

They have an the option of putting in a second set of factory cleats go to your dealer and have them order and install them wont be free by any means but i can post pics tonight if you want i'll be by my boat i have the additional cleats they are closeto that area.

Comment

here's a picture of my 2011 with them.
            Attached Files
            I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

I had our dealer install ours before we took delivery. If I were to do it over again, I would have them placed a little further aft than they were.

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                here's a picture of my 2011 with them.
                Your boat is sexy. I want it!
                "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

I am seriously thinking about installing a third set way forward, too. The "center" set are useful for bumpers but I want another set up front for dock lines. I haven't really investigated installing them - are they just two holes, or do you have to countersink the oval through the gelcoat?

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                    I am seriously thinking about installing a third set way forward, too. The "center" set are useful for bumpers but I want another set up front for dock lines. I haven't really investigated installing them - are they just two holes, or do you have to countersink the oval through the gelcoat?
                    I'm not 100% certain, but I think it is just the two holes. Here is a pic of the Attwood version:

Comment

I just had them added - no pics, but essentially in the same place as the photos from other members. If I recall the Tige branded cleats were either $65 or $75 each. Well worth the investment and agree the front position is absolutely worthless.

Comment

I added a set as well. I'll have to check on the location of them. They aren't as far forward as Dingle's though.

Comment

A quick easy fix for securing one of those orange buoy fenders is to use something called a sea sucker.com
                          They work great for fenders and I have used them as a temporary spring cleat when rafting up with other boats.

Comment

I use fender locks.
                            they work great, but can only hold the fenders ( dont use them to tie up the boat)
                            Attached Files
                            Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
                              I'm not 100% certain, but I think it is just the two holes. Here is a pic of the Attwood version:

can you use AIR to make them go up and down by a switch
                              Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

Working...
                              X