2015 Tige Z3 TAPs 3 to GSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Tige Z3 TAPs 3 to GSA

As the title states, we took the plunge! First, let me begin by saying there was nothing wrong with our TAPs 3. We have thoroughly enjoyed the boat and so far it has treated us right. However, like many of you, we are always trying to get the best possible wave we can. We have 1300 pounds of lead and the largest bags Tige makes for our year. The wave has been $ with the help of elevatedconcepts and thegerman618. Quick note; if you follow their previous recommendations on here for settings, you can’t go wrong! Don’t reinvent the wheel (or wave in this case). They spent many hours getting the most out of the Z3. Now, back to the upgrade. I was admittedly nervous, as I always wonder if the grass really is greener on the other side. As far as I know (and I may be wrong here), there aren't many examples of GSA on 2015 Z3s out there. Germaine Marine So Cal did all the work and went out on the lake with us to water test it. We are 4 hours from where we keep our boat, so we left the lead at our lake home. All of the information provided in this initial review is with stock weight! Here are my big 3 takeaways so far;

1. Best investment I’ve made to date with this boat!!! Yes, 3 exclamation marks were necessary, LOL. The wave had more than enough length, push, and height. It performed MUCH better than the TAPS3 with 600 pounds lead (300 on each side). I would never recommend running the Z3 with just 600, but it worked ok when we didn’t want to load all the weight one day (never again).
    2. GSA can and does link up with TIge Touch 2. This was important to us before the purchase. Germaine Marine So Cal reassured us and followed through with their promise!
    3. Biggest regret? Not doing it sooner. If you are always looking for a better wave but can’t pull the trigger on a $100,000+ boat for whatever reason, this is your best possible solution in my opinion.

I know someone will ask for pictures and videos if I don’t include them, so I’ve shared a few below. HOWEVER, I will not post videos until I can get the lead in her and you can see what an awesome investment it was for us. The picture of the wave below doesn’t do the discussion justice, as the conditions weren’t great, and it’s stock weight. Stay tuned to this thread for a few weeks, and I’ll show you what this beast can really do! I can’t wait myself!

EA757AE5-19D3-47BF-B7B6-9761FA8EADEC.jpg

2794D26E-1684-4A58-98EE-1424D861591B.jpg

7CEB3779-16C2-4881-B766-19CAA74CA84F.jpg

5A689355-81B7-4690-AF02-195A6856D189.jpg
    Last edited by D&P Powell; 07-01-2019, 01:05 AM.

Awesome. I put GSA on my rzx with great success and a buddy put it on his z3 with great success as well. Glad you’re in the same boat.
    What do you run your taps at when you go? On my buddies 2012 we were running it at a really high numbers. Not sure if the previous gen plates being smaller make a big difference.

Comment

I believe the picture above was TAPs at 4, Surf plates at 5. Jason can (and will) correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

HHmmmmmmm

Comment

That is pretty killer to hear.. and damn it, I don’t really want to have to put something else on mine, but that interests me, quite a bit.

How long have you been running that setup, Cole? I’ve been waiting to hear how Unstuck’s setup is going to work, and I had kind of forgotten that you were running the GSAs now. They’re controlled on your surf screen, same as the taps plates?? Isn’t there something about they can be independently controlled? Are they a different actuator setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve been running mine for a couple months now, been positive results. The regular side wave is really where you see the biggest improvement.
            Fully controlled on the touch screen same as taps 3. Only thing that changes is the actuator mounting position.

Comment

I assume it is fair to say that the touch screen still thinks it is TAPS3?
              It is just the wiring that was on the TAPS3 tabs goes to a GSA instead?

Looks awesome! That was a pretty big plunge to take. Glad it worked out.
              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Im guessing the boat still has TAPS-3, but now has different plate design and maybe a different travel distance with the GSA plates. Sounds like they used the GSA plates, rather then the entire GAS system with GSA controller mounted somewhere.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yup you guys got it. All the tige touch is doing is acting as a controller for the actuator 1-15 and engaging at the proper speeds. GSA and taps 3 share the same actuator so good to go. Essentially all you need is the plates and mounting hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                    They’re controlled on your surf screen, same as the taps plates?? Isn’t there something about they can be independently controlled? Are they a different actuator setup?
                    Yes, they are controlled on the TT2 screen, same as the TAPS 2 plates. They only need to be independently controlled if the boat is pre-TT. They are a different actuator set up, as mine were first gen TAPS3 - attached to the underside of the swimdeck.

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                    I assume it is fair to say that the touch screen still thinks it is TAPS3?
                    It is just the wiring that was on the TAPS3 tabs goes to a GSA instead?
                    I believe that's exactly what's happening Larry, but I will let Jason chime in on the specifics.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Sounds like they used the GSA plates, rather then the entire GAS system with GSA controller mounted somewhere.
                    Correct
                    Last edited by D&P Powell; 07-01-2019, 11:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Got it, that all makes sense, now. I had always assumed it’s a completely different system, because I saw where someone had said they could be independently controlled.

You don’t have a pic of them on your boat, do you Cole?

Comment

If the GSA plate is so much better, why doesn’t tige just use them instead of tige taps3 plates? I would assume cost is comparable other than some extra $ for the IP... , I’d have paid another $500-750 for an upgraded plate to cover IP when I bought my boat.

Seems like a win win win.... GSA sells more plates, tige and the customer gets better performance out of their surf boats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                          Got it, that all makes sense, now. I had always assumed it’s a completely different system, because I saw where someone had said they could be independently controlled.

You don’t have a pic of them on your boat, do you Cole?

GSA and TAPS-3 are completely different in a sence. Whats makes them what they are, is their controller. In reality, you could mount Malibu Surf Gate flappers to a TAPS-3 tige and the TT would operate it just the same. Same with the Nautique NSS. Beyond the controller, they are all just motorized actuators driving a tab or plate.

So in D&P's scenario, the boat essentially still is a TAPS-3 Tige, but now with a plate upgrade.

For boats with out the controller hardware, say an older 22Ve for example, you would not only install the GSA tabs and actuators, but also THEIR controller to make it all work.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                            If the GSA plate is so much better, why doesn’t tige just use them instead of tige taps3 plates? I would assume cost is comparable other than some extra $ for the IP... , I’d have paid another $500-750 for an upgraded plate to cover IP when I bought my boat. Seems like a win win win.... GSA sells more plates, tige and the customer gets better performance out of their surf boats!
                            Maybe they will some day? In the meantime, I will keep our 2015 and try it out .

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            So in D&P's scenario, the boat essentially still is a TAPS-3 Tige, but now with a plate upgrade.
                            I think that's a fair assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                              If the GSA plate is so much better, why doesn’t tige just use them instead of tige taps3 plates?
                              There could be several reasons. TAPS3 probably works perfect for the majority of their buyers. It wont cost Tige any more to keep using TAPS3. MB is already using GSA. What would that say about Tige if they switched to a competitors surf system?

Comment

Working...
                              X