Teleflex Steering Cable - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teleflex Steering Cable - Help

I'm having difficulty with extremely stiff steering in my 2004 22V. I've alway's kept it garaged, and dry bilge, with the exception of some operational time on AZ waterways.

Looking at the teleflex cable from the box beneath the steering wheel to the push/pull rod connection near the engine block, it's not clear to me how I might lube the cable or push/pull to help the situation.

Has anyone found a way to help this condition without replacing this cable? This system durability is disapointing for a young boat. Better aftermarket products?

Would be grateful for any help our forum might offer.

Thanks!

Wonder how many Tucson Tige owners there are?

I had to replace the steering cable on my 04 as well. You can try to lube it but I tried and it didn't help that much. I wasn't happy that I had to replace a cable so soon. Hopefully the new one will last longer. My boat is stored inside all winter and stays dry except when in use.

Comment

I had to replace my Cable from a 2002 Tige in 2004. The cable is warranted for 2 years. I actually sent TIGE the copy of the 2 year warranty back then. Another nice TIGE owner sent me a copy of the Teleflex warranty.

I was told in my old 20V that the end of the cable at the rudder was at a low point in the hull where water settles which causes rusting and the fine dirt in the bottom of the hull to be pulled into the cable.

I use my wet /dry vac when I pull the boat out now to make sure I get most of the water out.
      Let it be!!!

Comment

it is just another way to make a buck off us when the warranty expires. There are plenty of ways to make cables better and last longer but then it takes away from service business in the long run!

You guys with newer Tiges have it alot better than us with old ones. Prior to 2003 the drain hole wasnt even at the lowest point of the hull so you always have water in there. Way to go Tige engineers!!!!

Comment

the steering on our 2004 Switch V was also very stiff, though it is being replaced before we pick it up next month. I am interested to find out how we can prevent this for the new one. Does anyone have any idea why this is occuring?

Comment

You'll find that the radius that the cable bends as it comes out from the steering rack will most likely be close to the min radius that the cable should turn. It is like this on my switch 20i.
            If you can make all the radii along the cable as big as possible the cable will last as long as it can. Also you'll find that a lot of dealers don't bother to lube the cables as a new cable is cheaper than the time it takes to lube one properly.

Comment

according to SM Bob at Tige' factory, the 20V steering setup lacked a lot to be desired as it was a stretched tight teleflex cable. He replaced mine (when it got stiff) and inverted the cable to allow mounting of a longer cable. One year, 50 + hours and no problems to report. The cable exits left and down of the steering column, then along the floor to the gunwales. Not pretty, but effective.

Comment

Tele-suck Steering Cables

Good dialogue about the steering cable issue. Thanks to each of you for your experience. I suppose I'm resigned to changing it out.

No-one seems to have found a way to lube it and I haven't heard of any better products to give me a long-term fix.

When you change the cable, does the rack and pinion box go with it? The push pull rod? No Tige dealers within 3 hours of Tucson....

Looking forward to seeing a full lake Roosevelt this weekend! Wondering if I'll get as much exercise boarding as I will steering!

To our Tige Engineering crew: paying attention to this forum will be the best way to secure my business in 08. I'm on my second Tige now.

Comment

I had to replace my cable on my '98 last summer. I bought a brand new one off of EBAY for about half of what my dealer was going to charge me. It might be worth checling out. The jacket around the cable should have a model number and length on it. It was pretty simple to replace.

Comment

When you change the cable, does the rack and pinion box go with it? The push pull rod? No Tige dealers within 3 hours

Yes you will get the rack and push rod.

Comment

Working...
                    X