Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX22 vs MAX

ATX22 vs MAX

Anyone here have experience with these 2 boat? I currently own a Max. We are looking to "refresh" our current boat. My Choices are New Max, New ATX, or Axis A22 or T23. There are loves and dislikes about each boat, and Everyone uses their boat differently and therefore look for different features important to them. We live on a lake and I have resigned not to buy a new boat lift, so I need a boat that works with a 6000lb lift. (Sorry A24, you're out the door). IMO the Max has all of these boat beat with the tower and bimini design, and we usually have full board racks and boards slipped into our bimini. Our Crews range from 4 - 8 and very often up to 15 and beyond. Storage is not a huge concern for us because we do not need store to things for a boating day as we go in and out, but the max has storage for days.
    We have started foiling this year, but Primarily surf. We do not tube, ski, or wakeboard as a general rule.

Why would I switch?

I can get that max to throw a savage surf wave, but its at a cost of wide open throttle at 4200 RPM and Maxed out at 10.3MHP with the recommended Surf Prop . I cannot get it to throw a lower faster surf wave that suits me. I also have a very large goofy rider that cannot seem to ride it. We feel he needs a longer wave, but just cant seem to produce it. I also feel the wave lacks compression or firmness for me. Can I live with it and have a great time with My Current Max? You bet! Would I buy another one? I could very well. However, I am also more that willing to see what my option are. At a glance there are things about the ATX that intrigue me, and I want to learn more.

Thanks

Why not look at the Supreme ZS232? The build quality is far superior to the Axis and ATX in my opinion. I can’t speak on Moomba. I haven’t been in the new ones

Comment

Dont mean to hate or anything but I wouldnt be expecting a savage surf wake at 10.3mph... You can probably dial it in better with different amounts of wake and lengthen out the wave. In order to firm up the wave and lengthen it out you need to bump up the speed, you can do this one of three ways. More bow weight tot help you get on plane, less rear weight or better prop. OR... A new boat lol..

The new ATX lineup is killer, way beyond axis build quality, haven't spent much time in moombas but I would imagine the same. The atx 22 will put out a crazy wave especially when loaded up with that large of a crew. The one thing I will say is don't skip the engine upgrade, if you're trying to keep the price down take out something else, you will never say you have too much power.

The new supreme is a sick boat. Great wave out of the box, there's just a bunch of little things I don't like about it. Huge stepdown onto the back, Bimini design, having to list it over a bit to really clean up the wave and the first gen ones with the tiny screen. You would also be pushing the limits of your boat lift with the ZS.

Comment

Originally posted by flienlow View Post
        ATX22 vs MAX

but its at a cost of wide open throttle at 4200 RPM and Maxed out at 10.3MHP with the recommended Surf Prop .
        Thanks
        So WOT at 4200 rpm is with no ballast or are you saying 4200 @ 10.3 while full ballast? Either way, I say something is a miss...

what motor do you have? What elevation are you at? What is the WOT rpm and speed with no ballast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t disagree about the supreme points your made and yeah the weight would pry be too much. My bad

Comment

The Supreme is going to be too heavy.

So WOT at 4200 rpm is with no ballast or are you saying 4200 @ 10.3 while full ballast? This is with full ballast around 5300lbs . Perhaps too much, or misplaced, but seems to be the best setting at least for us.

Comment

So the boat weighs 4500+5300+10-15 people?

I’m just trying to see if you have the best surf prop on it or not? 4200 rpm is way high for only 10.3mph. If you move people to the bow does the rpm drop? What prop do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Bamer; 09-27-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

We bought a 2020 ATX 22 this spring. Absolutely love the boat! New to wakesurfing and could easliy teach the whole family to surf. There's plenty of room on the boat and when we do have 10 people we increase the speed to 11.6-11.8 to lengthen the wave.

Comment

When we move people to the bow, the RPM will drop. The issue we find is with a smaller crew level. With less people, the boat seems to want more stern weight. Infact from our experience Autowake dumps bow weight on large crews. Hence, with a light crew, less ballast weight = less push, so we run high weight, High RPM.The Prop we have is the high weight choice for a rator 400 with 1:5 transmission.

Now... I am not saying what I am doing is right. we just found what seems to work for us. We cannot get the boat to a surf speed faster than 11mph. Perhaps we are just over loaded? IDK. The boat came with a Walmart wave and I knew buying we needed to upgrade. There were absolutely no useable instructions on how to use this boat. From Moombas perspective you fill the ballast full, turn on Autowake and have a brochure Moment. I assure you that is not the case with the boat in stock form.

Comment

In our ATX 22 we have a Raptor 400 with a 2:1 transmission and it surfs easily with a full boat of people and ballast.

Comment

The Max definitely likes weight. Originally it was just rear and front weight. Now comes with midship bags piggy backed off of rears. Can always be retrofitted onto older models. My friends Max is pretty dialed and it also likes a slower surf speed compared to other boats Ive ridden.

I haven't had lake time on the ATX but as a tech for dealer that sells both....its just my personal opinion that the plates and moreover the actuators on the Tige/ATX are much better than what Moomba is running. To some thats not a big deal, but to me that is a huge part of what's controlling and shaping your wave. Take a look and compare the transoms between the two.

I also wouldn't take a Makai out of the mix if you are shopping Skiers Choice.

I would say the same thing I say to anyone looking to buy new. Dealer support on the backend is huge. Go with the brand that has a dealer that is going to try their best to keep you boating should the worst happen.

Comment

being on both forums I keep up on all the threads on autowake and although we were about to pull the trigger on a kaiyen until the r23 came along, the autowake settings and MY perceptions of the 4-actuator surf tabs from moomba were the largest downside I could find about moomba today. seems that it's pretty split on people that love or hate autowake. that leads me to believe a piece of software that doesn't do as advertised.

for us the tige GO has been a much easier system to use than anything we have had in the past. it's not without it's small nitpicks but overall it's very simple.
                        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I demoed two Maxes last week. One was a 2019 with a 440 and FAE. The lake elevation was was 5500'. It had the stock 3000 pounds of ballast, a 700 pound bag on the bow cushions, and 1000 in lead. We had about 1100 in people weight as well. The boat easily went to 12.0 mph and I thought the wave was great. Just for fun we filled another 1000 bag and placed it right next to the driver seat. We could not get to 12.0 until the owner climbed over the bow bag and sat all the way up front. It then went right to 12.0mph. In that time we realized that 11.5 was better so we slowed down. Man, that wave was fun. Rock solid. Unfortunately I didn't think to check RPM's. The noise inside the boat was VERY loud. Boat didn't really sound like it was laboring. It was just loud. I could hear most of the noise coming from the cup holder area behind the driver seat. Weird.
                          The second boat was a 2020 with 4000 stock ballast, with the 400 motor and no FAE. Lake elevation was 4500 feet. We filled two 1000 bags. One in the bow walkway, so it didn't get totally full, but pretty close. The second was placed right by the driver seat. So the weight was very similar in both tests. This boat needed no extra help getting to 12mph. The wave was awesome again....without really playing with it. I'm sure it would have cleaned up a bit with more time to play.

I should mention that both boats came with the "surf/high altitude" prop. Whatever that is. Autowake was turned off on both. Or on just long enough to check the boats pitch and roll and then turned back off. At 10 degrees of pitch the boat is hard to see over the bow. I didn't like that. The top of the windshield was in the wrong place for my height so I was looking right at the top of the frame. Not through it or over it. For us the dealbreaker was the noise. They were equally loud. One with FAE and one without. One thing is for sure, the 440 engine is not needed. I believe both of these boats had the 1.7x ratio. If yours is 1.5 that could be your problem. I still love the 2.0 in the Tige line.

Comment

There's some cutout holes above the cup holder in the plastic so you can access the harness. Wonder if the decibels you are hearing there are coming up the gunnel and out that hole.

Comment

I would go demo them both. If you normally run a large crew, have the dealer bring extra weight to simulate your normal load. Bring your own gear and ride both boats.

Comment

Working...
                              X